Rutherfordton residents can find the closest Social Security office in Shelby, North Carolina. Here, they’ll have access to resources and assistance from Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and/or Supplemental Security Income, among other services.
This article will further discuss what you can expect from the Shelby Social Security office.
In This Article
- How Rutherfordton Residents Can Get in Touch With the Social Security Office
- How to Get to the Shelby Social Security Office
- Services Offered at the Shelby Social Security Office
- Documents to Bring to Your Social Security Appointment
- Tips for Your Social Security Appointment in Shelby, NC
- About Rutherfordton, NC
- What Is Social Security Disability (SSD)?
- How a Social Security Disability Lawyer on Our Team Can Assist You
- Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, Today
How Rutherfordton Residents Can Get in Touch With the Social Security Office
According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), the Shelby Social Security office is located at:
707 Schenck Street
Shelby, NC 28150
Set up an appointment and/or get more information about their services or the required documentation when you reach them via:
- Phone: 1-877-405-3576
- TTY: 1-800-325-0778
- FaxL 1-833-950-2820
They’re open from 9 am to 4 pm, Mondays through Fridays, and closed on Saturdays and Sundays.
For a legal consultation with a social security lawyer serving Rutherfordton, call 828.286.3866
How to Get to the Shelby Social Security Office
It should take you around 30 minutes to get to the Shelby Social Security office when taking the quickest route from Rutherfordton.
- Head south on US-221 S/N Main Street toward East 3rd Street (5.5 miles)
- Turn left onto the US 74 E ramp to Forest City (15 miles)
- Keep right to continue on 74E/W Dixon Blvd (5.2 miles)
- Slight left onto W Marion Street (1.6 miles)
- Turn left onto N Washington Street (0.6 miles)
- Turn right (250 feet)
- Turn right (250 feet)
You’ll turn right on Schenck Street between the CVS ad Reno Chiropractic. The Social Security Office is half a block up on Schenck Street on the right.
Rutherfordton Social Security Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Services Offered at the Shelby Social Security Office
The services offered at each Social Security office generally vary, but at the Shelby location, you can:
- Get a new Social Security card
- Request a replacement Social Security card
- Estimate your retirement benefits
- Apply for Social Security retirement, SSI, and/or SSDI benefits
- Apply for Social Security spousal or survivor benefits
- Obtain a copy of your proof of benefits
- Apply for Medicare
- Set up or change your direct deposit for Social Security benefits
- Get a new or replacement Medicare card
Documents to Bring to Your Social Security Appointment
Depending on the reason for your visit, you may want to bring the following documents to your appointment:
- Social Security number
- Your Social Security card
- Birth certificate
- Your passport
- Proof of address
- Proof of household income
- Proof of household inhabitants
- Bank statements
- A copy of your W-2 forms
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
Tips for Your Social Security Appointment in Shelby, NC
Consider these tips when preparing for your appointment:
- Plan to arrive about 10 to 15 minutes before your appointment.
- Expect to wait, especially if you have an appointment later in the day
- Make a checklist of the required documents to bring so you don’t risk forgetting anything
- Bring a snack since you may get hungry while waiting
If you ever need further clarification about what to bring, the services, or other related matters, don’t hesitate to call the office.
About Rutherfordton, NC
Established in 1787, the small town of Rutherfordton, NC, is home to just over 4000 people as of 2021. The median age is 44.8 years old, and the median household income is around $44,600.
The NC Rural Center voted it North Carolina’s Small Town of the Year. Its charm appeals to visitors from all over, and they take advantage of the hiking, history, shopping, and dining.
What Is Social Security Disability (SSD)?
Social Security Disability is an umbrella that covers two programs:
- SSDI: You’re eligible for this program if you have earned a certain amount of work credits from paying Social Security taxes and working. In general, those who worked five years in the last ten or who’ve been unable to work for the last year or who have a terminal condition may qualify.
- SSI: This needs-based program assists those who have limited income and resources.
Depending on your situation, you might be eligible for both programs.
What Happens If You Receive a Social Security Denial?
If the SSA denies for application for benefits, you would file an appeal. Per the SSA, this process comprises four steps, but it could accept your appeal at any time.
- Reconsideration: After the SSA sends you a letter advising you of the denial of your application, you can file for reconsideration, which is a request for another review of your case.
- Hearing before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ): If your application is denied after reconsideration, you can request a hearing before an ALJ within 60 days. Witnesses can testify, and you can submit new evidence.
- Appeals Council Review: Should you disagree with the ALJ’s determination, you can request an Appeals Council to review your case after 60 days. You may submit new evidence, too.
- Federal Court Review: You can file your appeal with a US District Court near you if you disagree with the ALJ and Appeal Council’s denial of your application. This review can be done in person or via video conference.
How a Social Security Disability Lawyer on Our Team Can Assist You
Going through this process of getting the benefits you need can be difficult on your own. In that case, you may want an attorney on our team to assist you. On your behalf, they can:
- Represent you throughout legal proceedings
- Fight denials and file appeals
- Gather and submit new evidence
- Take on communication with the SSA and other involved parties
They can keep you updated on the status of your case throughout the process.
Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, Today
If you’re a Rutherfordton, NC, resident and need help with Social Security, Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, is here for you. Call us today.
Call or text 828.286.3866 or complete a Case Evaluation form