Family law in North Carolina can involve complex issues that include divorce, child custody, alimony, or the distribution of assets. When disputes arise, you may want legal representation that seeks to protect your personal or parental rights. A Rutherfordton family law lawyer from our firm can take on your case and represent your interests during and after a divorce.
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, offers legal services for clients in divorce cases. Our family law lawyers handle domestic matters involving spouses, partners, and children. Whether you are filing for divorce or need help with other related issues, our legal team can examine your situation and provide representation. We want to learn more about your case and determine how we can help. To start with a case review, call (828) 286-3866.
We Take on All Types of Family Law Cases
When it comes to family matters, each case is unique and should be handled based on its specific requirements. However, North Carolina law governs all divorce cases, including separation, child custody, and distribution of assets. Therefore, you might want to consider having a lawyer on your side who understands how these cases work and can take action on your behalf.
Our law firm takes on a wide range of family cases, including:
A separation agreement is a legally binding document that outlines the conditions of a separation or divorce. Both parties that enter into the agreement have a full understanding of the outcomes. Additionally, a separation agreement ensures that both parties adhere to the conditions or face legal consequences.
Our goal is to create a thorough and accurate agreement that is clear, concise, and legally binding. Since these agreements can get complex, we can communicate with you and the other party so that both sides have input.
Before finalizing your divorce, you will need to resolve several issues.
For example, per G.S. § 50-5.1, you cannot be granted a divorce for just any reason. You will need to prove that you and your spouse have been separated for one year or meet other specific grounds for a divorce from bed and board.
A Rutherfordton family law lawyer from our team can also help you with other details surrounding your divorce, including:
- Child custody
- Child support
- Division of the assets
- Support payments
- Disputes or accusations
We can represent you in pretrial agreements or, if necessary, in court. To learn more about what this entails, call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, at (828) 286-3866.
Child Custody and Child Support
Following a divorce, you and your spouse may be struggling to come to an agreement when it comes to custody and child support. In addition, you will need to work out financial support for the children based on your current situation.
North Carolina has strict laws regarding both child custody and child support, according to the North Carolina Bar Association (NCBA). For example, if a divorced couple is having issues determining a fair child custody agreement, they must enter mediation before they go to court.
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, stays current on laws involving children. We can guide you through the process to help you understand your legal rights and protections. We can also fight for your parental rights when disputes arise between you and your former spouse.
When you and your spouse separate, the property and assets acquired during the marriage need to be divided. We may need to look at several factors when dividing your assets, such as:
- How long you and your spouse have been married
- You and your spouse’s current age
- Marital misconduct
- Property values
- How much each spouse contributed to the assets
- Your current income
- Your children’s best interests
If you have a dispute, the courts may look at these factors in addition to other issues. A Rutherfordton family law lawyer from our team can help you address these issues and draft an agreement that both you and your spouse can agree on. If necessary, we can also represent you in court if additional complications arise.
Post-Separation Support and Alimony
Post-separation support is a form of financial support that either you or your spouse will pay after separation. North Carolina has specific rules regarding post-separation support and alimony. Our lawyers can help you determine which decisions adequately fit your situation.
As your attorneys, we look at several factors when determining how much post-separation support or alimony should be paid. With all the laws governing these elements, we can help make sure that your case is handled with the care it needs.
How Our Law Firm Can Help You with Your Case
A divorce can get emotional and escalate quickly. As such, a separation can turn into a battle for child custody, property, and assets. If you do not know the law, then you can become ensnared in a technicality that causes you to lose your children, your assets, and even your monthly pay.
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we are committed to helping you get through your divorce with as little friction as possible. However, even if you are in the middle of a dispute, our law firm can still represent you, ensure that your rights are protected, and work to get you a favorable outcome.
Our Legal Services
We can help your case in the following ways:
- Investigate the facts surrounding the dispute: Our team can conduct our own investigation into your separation or divorce. For example, if there is suspicion your spouse is committing adultery, we may investigate to see if we can discover evidence that supports these claims.
- Speak with witnesses who are willing to testify on your behalf: In some cases, it may be beneficial to have individuals who have intimate knowledge about your marriage, such as a marriage counselor, testify on the nature of your relationship with your spouse.
- Gather documents and evidence that supports your side of the dispute: We may make efforts to collect photos, videos, financial records, phone records, and other forms of evidence to support your claims about your marital dispute.
- Negotiate with the other party to avoid going to court: Many divorces settle out of court, which can demand high fees. If possible, we may negotiate the terms of your divorce with your spouse and their legal team in private.
- Protect your children’s best interests: If you and your spouse have a child or children together, we may negotiate child custody sharing terms while factoring in the best interests of the child(ren). This may involve factoring individual income, living conditions, each child’s personal input, education, and other social factors.
- Seek a peaceful resolution that is mutually beneficial: Our objective in all of our cases is to reach a peaceful resolution between both spouses. We want to help you reach an agreement that you can feel comfortable with, and we aim to protect your interests throughout your case.
We understand the frustration and worry that you may feel when going through a divorce. Having a Rutherfordton family law lawyer from our team can support your legal interests during this challenging time.
Throughout your case, you will also have communication access to our team. So, if you ever have questions or concerns about your case, feel free to reach out. We aim to provide legal advice to you whenever you need to make decisions, including whether you should keep negotiating the terms in your divorce settlement.
Contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, to Get Started with Your Family Law Case
Your divorce does not have to become a web of legal complexities. If you need legal representation for your divorce, then contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC. We can get started on your case right away. Call (828) 286-3866 , contact civil litigation attorney and adoption lawyers for an initial case review.