Spinal cord injuries affect the neurological system. This type of injury, usually caused by external trauma, can be debilitating and permanent. As a result, treatment and rehabilitation from a spinal cord injury can be time-consuming and expensive.
A Gastonia spinal cord injury lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can help you get compensation for your damages. Our personal injury team offers free consultations when you call.
Compensation Available for a Spinal Cord Injury
After sustaining a spinal cord injury due to another person’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation. With severe injuries, your treatment may extend for the remainder of your life.
When we conduct your case evaluation, our team will compute your current costs for medical treatment and estimate all future expenses and losses you might incur. We will place a value on your injury for economic and non-economic damages.
Recoverable Economic Damages You Might Receive
Economic damages are injury-related expenses that have receipts and documentation, like medical bills, doctor’s statements, repair estimates for a vehicle or other personal property, and other information that supports your claim. Some areas we may seek economic recovery can include:
- Medical costs: This area can include ambulances and other transportation to and from medical facilities, emergency and ongoing treatment, all diagnostic testing, surgical procedures, medications, medical support equipment, and rehabilitative therapies. If you require home nursing assistance or an extended stay in a rehabilitation facility, those costs may be part of a claim.
- Property damage: If your injury is from a vehicle accident, you should receive reimbursement to repair or replace your vehicle. If equipment in your car has damage, that might be recoverable, too.
- Home modification: Many spinal cord injuries involve partial or complete paralysis. Suppose you need a wheelchair after your injury. In that case, the cost of modifying your home to accommodate your changing needs is an expense you incurred directly relating to your injury.
- Lost income: This area of compensation can include the income lost during treatment and rehabilitation and an income differential for future losses due to taking a lower-paying position.
Recoverable Non-Economic Damages You Might Receive
In addition to financial recovery from expenses, you might receive a non-economic recovery for intangible things affecting your emotional and psychological well-being. This area of compensation can include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Disability, wholly or partially
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Lower quality of life
This compensation doesn’t reimburse a monetary loss but accounts for the emotional toll of a long-term, debilitating injury.
Fatal Spinal Cord Injury Compensation for Your Family
Spinal injuries can be fatal. Our wrongful death team wants to help your family recover from this tragedy. Only certain members of a family can apply for compensation, though. The cost of laying your family member to rest might be recoverable. It can help to discuss the matter with our wrongful death attorney to understand your options.
For a legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Gastonia, call 828.286.3866
A Gastonia Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer With Our Firm Can Help You
A personal injury attorney on our team can handle your case and perform various tasks on your behalf, so you won’t have to worry while you get better. Some things we will do include:
- Investigate your accident
- Determine who was at fault
- Interview witnesses
- Negotiate with insurance companies
- Compile documentation to support your case
- Build a strong argument for a lawsuit
- File all appropriate documentation
- Meet filing deadlines
- Represent you at all court meetings and proceedings
Our team will stay in contact to keep you up-to-date on the progress of your case. We will advise you on all matters concerning your compensation. All final decisions are yours, but we will guide you at every step.
Understanding Our No-Risk Fee Agreement
When you partner with our spinal injury team, we offer our services with a zero-risk fee agreement. Our team will work on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning no upfront costs for you. When you receive a settlement check or court-awarded compensation, we will collect our fee.
Gastonia Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
The Law Gives a Limited Time to Take Action After a Spinal Cord Injury
Under G.S. § 1-52, you generally must submit your personal injury lawsuit within three years of the accident. In a wrongful death case, you only have up to two years under G.S. § 1-53. Not filing on time can result in the dismissal of your lawsuit.
Our team will guide you and ensure filings meet all applicable deadlines.
The Scope of Spinal Cord Injuries Is Broad
Spinal cord injuries frequently result from car accidents but can also occur in workplace accidents, gunshot wounds, and disease. Information from Cleveland Clinic states that spinal cord injuries may display some of the following symptoms:
- Decreased sensation and weakness in the extremities
- Loss of elimination control (bladder or bowel problems)
- Lumps along the spine
- Breathing difficulty
- Severe pain in the neck or along the spine
According to the Frontiers in Neurology, continuing research is bringing advancements in treating spinal cord injuries, but they are still considered catastrophic (life-altering). You deserve compensation if you suffer from a spinal cord injury. Our personal injury team can help.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
Let Our Gastonia Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Get to Work for You
Our injury lawyers will fight for you if you are currently suffering from or lost a family member to a spinal cord injury. The experienced team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, will fight for compensation for your injury or loss. Contact us today to begin your free case evaluation.