If you suffered a neck or back wound because of an accident that was not your fault, our Belmont spinal cord injury lawyer can help you go after the financial compensation you deserve from the liable party. Going through the legal process can be daunting, but you do not have to face the insurance claim or lawsuit alone.
A Belmont personal injury attorney from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can handle your spinal cord damage case, leaving you free to focus on getting better. We fight relentlessly for our clients and provide legal advice throughout their cases. You can count on our personal injury lawyers to advocate for your fair financial recovery.
How Much Your Settlement Could Be for a Spinal Cord Injury in Belmont
Every Belmont spinal cord damage case is different. The monetary damages you can seek will depend on the specific facts of your case as well as factors that can include:
- Who was at fault.
- The extent of your wounds.
- The amount of liability insurance coverage the negligent party carried.
Still, there are some common categories of monetary damages that people with spinal cord injuries often include in their personal injury claims. These include the following:
- Medical expenses. Typically, the cost of your medical treatment for a spinal cord injury in Belmont is recoverable in a personal injury action. Bills from the hospital, doctor, surgery, physical therapy, ambulance, emergency room, and diagnostic procedures are usually included in the claim.
- Rehabilitation facility. Spinal cord damage often requires specialized treatment in a facility that treats these challenging injuries. You might also need therapy to help you return to a normal life or as close to your previous activities as possible.
- Long-term care. If you suffered paralysis as a result of your spinal cord injury, you might struggle to live independently. You might need daily assistance with medical treatments and personal care, which could mean that you need to live in a long-term care center.
- Lost income. Most people miss paychecks when recuperating from spinal cord damage while their wounds prevent them from being on the job. This financial loss can be a part of your injury case.
- Future lost income. You might still have impairment or limitations after you complete your medical treatment and achieve your maximum recuperation. If you have ongoing problems from a spinal cord injury and those problems decrease the amount of your earnings, you could add future lost income to your injury claim.
- Pain and suffering. The physical discomfort of an accident that left you with a spinal cord injury is compensable in addition to your out-of-pocket losses like medical bills and lost income.
- Other intangible losses. After a spinal cord wound, you might not be able to perform activities that you used to enjoy before the injury. This situation can cause you to suffer a loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress, and reduced quality of life.
You might be able to pursue a wrongful death case if your close relative died because of a spinal cord injury that was not their fault. Our law office can explain more about how a wrongful death case works.
How You Can Afford to Have a Belmont Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Handle Your Case
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we handle personal injury and wrongful death cases using a contingency fee arrangement. With contingency fees, you do not pay us upfront legal fees. In fact, you do not pay legal fees until the end of the case. We receive a percentage of the settlement or court award for our attorney fees.
We follow a no-fee policy on these cases, which means that you only owe us legal fees if you win. Our team provides a written fee agreement that puts these promises on paper.
Short-Term Complications From a Belmont Spinal Cord Injury Could Entitle You to Compensation
Mayo Clinic explains that a person with a spinal cord injury might feel severe pressure or pain in their back, head, or neck. Paralysis can be immediate or develop later. The injured person might struggle to breathe.
We can use proof, such as your medical records, to establish your need for compensation if you endured symptoms like this.
How a Spinal Cord Injury Can Change Your Life in the Long-Term
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that spinal cord injury is a leading cause of paralysis in the United States. Even if you do not develop paralysis from your spinal cord injury, you might have weakness, numbness, or other symptoms in one or both of your arms, legs, or both.
Our team will file a claim or lawsuit and demand the compensation you need. We’ll even fight for the accident-related expenses you may encounter in the future.
The Filing Deadline for a Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit in Belmont
If you wait too long to file a lawsuit seeking financial compensation from the at-fault party, you could be barred from ever pursuing a claim for your losses. The North Carolina statute of limitations for a personal injury case is generally 3 years, under N.C. Gen. Stat. §1-52. Wrongful death lawsuits typically must be filed within 2 years under N.C. Gen. Stat. § 1-53.
You might be trying to work out a settlement with the defendant’s insurance company when they suddenly stop taking your calls or responding to you. If you miss the filing deadline, North Carolina law will bar you from pursuing a financial claim against the at-fault party. Don’t wait too long to get started on your lawsuit.
Finding the Right Personal Injury Attorney for Your Belmont Spinal Cord Damage Case
Choosing the right lawyer to handle your Belmont spinal cord damage case is an important financial decision. The outcome of your case will impact you financially for years to come.
You will want a law firm that is experienced, caring, and hard-working. You need to be able to communicate with your lawyer when you have questions, get answers to your questions, and not feel like a number. You deserve excellent legal representation from a spinal cord injury attorney who gets results.
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, our goal is excellence in legal representation, in every case, with every client, and at every stage. We are proud to offer a free initial consultation with no obligation. Just reach out to us today to get started.