Surviving a motorcycle accident can be physically and emotionally traumatizing—and expensive. Fortunately, you have the right to sue any negligent party who played a role in causing the accident and the resulting injuries.
If you are considering filing a lawsuit against whoever caused your collision, let a Gastonia motorcycle accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC take care of everything. We help personal injury clients by evaluating each case and fighting hard for fair compensation.
Should You Hire a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Only you can decide if it is worth getting a motorcycle accident attorney. It may help to consider the following questions as you consider the situation:
- Are you familiar enough with North Carolina law to place your lawsuit on firm legal footing?
- In a similar vein, do you know about all of the rules, regulations, and deadlines that govern legal actions like yours?
- Are you aware of how much your case is worth—and, therefore, what dollar amount you should ask for in your lawsuit?
- Do you have the time and energy to file a lawsuit while still recovering from your injuries?
- Do you know what you should do if the insurance company refuses to cooperate or tries to get you to record a statement about the accident?
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can answer all of these questions and more. Our attorneys can handle the entire legal process on your behalf, including:
- Collecting evidence to prove not just that you deserve compensation but also the identity of the liable party (a driver, a motorcycle part manufacturer, etc.) who should pay that money
- Talking to all of the other parties involved in your lawsuit, including the liable party and their insurance company
- Figuring out how to pursue compensation—we can either negotiate directly with the insurance company or take the liable party to court
- Drafting, filling out, and filing all paperwork, including the pretrial settlement agreement (should we reach one)
- Keeping track of your case as it moves through the system and updating you every time something important happens
When weighing your legal options, remember that you have a limited time to take action. As G.S. § 1-52 states, you must file your case within three years of the accident date, or else it is not legally valid.
For this and other reasons, we encourage you to get in touch with us as soon as possible. The team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can work hard on your behalf for enough compensation to cover both your present and future needs.
Your Potential Motorcycle Accident Compensation
After a collision, our Gastonia motorcycle accident lawyer could potentially help you recover compensation from two different sources: your own insurance company, and the liable party’s insurance company.
Your Insurance Policy
As the North Carolina Department of Insurance (DOI) states, all motor vehicles in the state, including motorcycles, must be covered by a valid insurance policy. You can file a claim with your insurer after an accident to ask for compensation for medical bills and repair bills.
The Liable Party’s Insurance Policy
As you are well aware, the consequences of a motorcycle accident can go far beyond just medical and vehicle repair bills. If you need more money to cover these expenses than is covered by your policy, or if you suffered other kinds of damages, you could recover additional compensation by suing the liable party.
As part of your suit, we would take into account both your past suffering and any future losses you may incur because of your injuries. You could collect damages for:
- Property damage, especially if your motorcycle was damaged or wrecked
- Reduced quality of life if you have had to change your lifestyle to accommodate your injuries
- Medical expenses for any emergency or long-term care your injuries require
- Pain and suffering, which compensates you for the physical and emotional distress you have had to endure
- Loss of wages to make up for the time you spent away from work (or the time you will be unable to work in the future)
- Loss of consortium if your injuries have had a negative effect on your relationship to close relatives
Our lawyers can tell you exactly how much your case is worth so the insurance company cannot shortchange you.
Who Caused Your Motorcycle Accident?
As a motorcycle rider, you understand the importance of taking reasonable precautions—such as wearing a helmet, complying with traffic laws, and not getting distracted by handheld devices—while on the road.
Unfortunately, not every driver is so careful. All too many motorcycle accidents happen because a driver decides not to:
- Avoid drugs or alcohol before getting behind the wheel
- Obey the speed limit
- Signal properly before changing lanes or making turns
While we can sue a negligent driver, it is important to recognize that this is not the only type of liable party who may have played a role in your accident. We always investigate each accident in order to eliminate or confirm other possible liable parties, such as:
- A manufacturer who sold a faulty car or motorcycle part, which then malfunctioned in such a way as to make the accident worse
- A local government agency failed to ensure the road was safe by repairing roadways, trimming foliage, or fixing broken traffic lights
- A mechanic told you or the other driver that your vehicle was in good shape, even though they knew (or should have known) it was not
What if more than one party contributed to your crash? For example, what if a speeding driver hit your motorcycle, but only because they hit a pothole that should have been repaired months ago?
You have the right to file suit against everyone who contributed to your accident. Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can help you fight for every dollar you deserve from every party whose negligence contributed to your injuries.
Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Handle Everything
After a motorcycle accident, you need and deserve the chance to concentrate on your recuperation and your family. A Gastonia motorcycle accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can give you that chance. Call our law office for a free case review today to find out more.