Riding a bicycle is healthier and better for the environment than driving a car, but it offers much less protection. If you were in an accident that left you in pain and with a lot of medical bills to pay, our Gastonia bicycle accident lawyers from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC want to help.
Our personal injury attorneys fight hard for each and every client, ensuring that they do not have to worry about anything as their case moves through the system. With our assistance, you could pursue compensation without having to take time away from your recuperation.
Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers Serve You
After suffering a bicycle accident, you have a lot on your mind. Chief among your concerns may be financial matters, such as:
- How can you pay all of your medical bills?
- How can you support your family when you are unable to work?
- Will you have to go into debt to pay your bills?
- What if you are never able to work again?
A Gastonia bicycle accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can help alleviate such worries by asking the liable party to cover all of your losses and expenses. We may do this by:
- Proving that the liable party behaved negligently
- Informing you of your rights and of the various strategies we could employ to pursue the compensation you need
- Getting in touch with the liable party and asking them to pay what you need
- Negotiating with the liable party’s insurance company
- Preparing to take your case to court
- Representing you in the courtroom by questioning witnesses, delivering oral arguments, and presenting evidence
- Updating you regularly as your case progresses and ensuring you have the knowledge and the confidence to make sound decisions about your case’s future
Finally, because we understand that financial worries are at the top of your mind right now, we make it a policy to never charge attorney’s fees up front. Instead, you can pay us out of whatever compensation we win for you at the end of your case.
For a legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Gastonia, call 828.286.3866
Bicycle Accident Compensation Is Available for You
According to G.S. § 1-52, people involved in preventable incidents like bicycle crashes may sue for compensation at any time within three years of the accident date. It is important that you act quickly to take advantage of this right.
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can work with you to determine which of the following types of compensation you qualify for:
- Medical bills so that you can receive treatment based on what you need, not what you can personally afford
- Lost income, including both wages and benefits, that your injuries prevent you from earning
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries make it impossible for you to ever earn the same amount of money that you did before the wreck
- Miscellaneous expenses, such as hiring people to take care of your children or pets, if you did not require that kind of help before
- Disability to compensate you for the temporary or permanent loss of use of any part of your body
- Pain and suffering, including both the physical and the mental distress your accident has brought into your life
- Impaired quality of life, such as the inability to live independently or to perform basic tasks, like walking to the store, that you once did
- Loss of consortium if the crash claimed a loved one’s life
We can also run calculations to figure out how much money you should ask for. Coming up with a fair, viable dollar amount is a critical part of any successful lawsuit.
When Bicycle Accidents Turn Fatal
Special types of compensation are available to the families of bicyclists who passed away from their injuries. Such compensation could include money for:
- Funeral costs and other end-of-life expenses
- Loss of society and companionship
- Loss of financial support
You have two years to file a wrongful death case, according to G.S. § 1-53. That is one year less than you would have to file a personal injury case.
We know how difficult it is to concentrate on other things after a loved one’s passing. The sooner you put your case in our hands, the sooner you will no longer have to worry about pursuing that money yourself.
Gastonia Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Protecting Yourself From Bicycle Accidents
Data from the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) shows that there were 16 bicycle crashes in Gaston County (which includes Gastonia) in 2021. These crashes resulted in 17 injuries.
How can bicyclists protect themselves from traffic collisions and serious injuries? You can take basic steps such as the following:
- Wearing a high-quality helmet that fits you snugly at all times
- Keeping your bike in good repair (e.g., keeping the tires properly inflated)
- Checking your bike before every trip, even a short one, and refraining from using the bike if something is wrong with it
- Riding in well-lit areas as much as possible
- Using dedicated bike lanes where available
- Wearing reflective protective clothing, so others can more easily see you
- Remaining alert throughout your ride: do not drink alcohol before going out, disobey traffic laws, or daydream
These actions can go a long way toward keeping you safe as you ride your bike. Unfortunately, they cannot prevent all collisions. It is still possible that someone else’s negligent behavior could cancel out your precautions and cause a serious crash.
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we know that you never wanted to be in a position where you had to consider hiring an attorney from our firm. If the worst happens, know that we are here to support you by protecting your rights and pursuing the financial damages you deserve.
Start Your Bicycle Accident Suit Today
What else can our Gastonia bicycle accident lawyer do for you? Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, to find out. Members of our team are standing by to evaluate your case at no cost or obligation to you. We charge no attorney’s fees unless we win: getting compensation for our clients is always our top priority.