The emotional toll of losing a loved one can be a lot for families to bear. Processing a family member’s absence can take time, and in many cases, such a loss affects the household financially if the decedent contributed their income. If your family member suffered a fatal injury because of another’s negligence, you could seek financial recovery through a wrongful death lawsuit.
Our wrongful death lawyers will protect your rights and interests as we seek to hold the at-fault party accountable for your loved one’s passing. We can assess your damages and demand compensation that could help your family pay for funeral and burial costs. You can learn more about your options for recovery during a free consultation.
How Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Can Help You Pursue Compensation
You will find compassion, support, and understanding at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC. We care about our clients and work diligently to help them seek what they need to move forward. When you become our client, we will sit down with you to learn more about the situation and advise you on how we can help. We can handle your entire case while you take care of your family. Wrongful death cases can be complicated, but we will take care of everything. We will:
- List all potentially liable parties in the case and seek damages from each one
- Gather and review evidence to prove liability and negligence, such as the decedent’s death certificate, medical records, photos, video footage, witness statements, police reports, etc.
- Review your financial and non-financial damages and determine your case’s value
- Negotiate a fair settlement with an insurance company
- Protect you from common insurer tactics, such as denying or undervaluing your claim, or attempting to shift blame for the accident on someone or something else
- Prepare and file your lawsuit with the civil court on time
- Represent you at trial if we cannot settle your case before going to court
- Manage all communications with involved parties
- Explain all applicable laws and answer your questions
- Update you regularly on your case
We Will Explain How Wrongful Death Actions Work Where You Live
We will also explain how wrongful death laws work in your state. Although everyone in the family can feel the loss of a loved one, state laws recognize only certain family members as wrongful death beneficiaries, such as the decedent’s surviving spouse or children. This means they are eligible to receive compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit. Wrongful death laws in your state also designate who can bring the action forward, such as the decedent’s estate or administrator of their will.
We will always advise you of your options and next steps. Our wrongful death lawyers will advocate for you and your family.
Recoverable Damages in a Wrongful Death Case
Each case we handle is different, but all share common damages that you may be able to collect from the party or parties that caused the accident. These losses generally include:
Economic damages, such as:
- Medical expenses for treatment and rehabilitation care your loved one received for their injuries
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Property damage
- Loss of financial support for the income they would have provided the household
Non-economic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of the decedent’s care and companionship
Punitive damages are also recoverable in rare cases. A court can decide to award them if it wants to punish the liable party for their recklessness or carelessness and deter them from doing it again. We will assess your case for the unique losses you and your family have experienced and demand that you receive compensation for each one. We will ensure that we cover every loss.
Time Limits Apply When Filing a Wrongful Death Action
Wrongful death actions have a time limit, so the sooner we start on your case, the better. In North Carolina, the deadline to file is generally two years, per G.S. 1-53. In South Carolina, parties typically have three years to sue for damages, per S.C. Ann § 15-3-530.
Our wrongful death attorney will ensure that we file your case by the correct deadline. We don’t want you to miss out on compensation. Once the deadline expires, you cannot bring a case for damages against the liable party.
We Accept Various Wrongful Death Cases and Can Represent You at No Upfront Cost
We handle various kinds of wrongful death cases, including:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle and motorcycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Product liability accidents
We also can work on your case without collecting upfront attorney’s fees or costs. We will cover all the costs of your case, lowering the financial barrier for you and making it easier for us to work on your behalf as soon as possible. We receive payment from you once your case is won or settled. If you do not receive a settlement or court-ordered award, we do not collect any payment from you.
Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC Today for Help With a Wrongful Death Case
Our wrongful death attorneys are ready to help you seek compensation and justice on your loved one’s behalf. You have the right to hold liable parties accountable for your loved one’s passing and receive fair compensation that covers your losses. We can help you manage your case so that you have more time to spend with your family.
Call us today for a free consultation. A member of our team can advise you on your legal options.