A traffic collision is a frightening ordeal. In the aftermath of the wreck, you may be suffering from physical injuries, emotional and mental distress, and other types of damages. A Lincolnton car accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC can help you understand what compensation you may be due.
We’ll fight to prove your right to financial recovery and manage the details of your case so that you can focus on your physical and/or mental healing.
How Our Lincolnton Car Wreck Lawyer Can Manage Your Case
According to the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), there were nearly 500 motor vehicle accidents in Lincolnton in 2019. These collisions resulted in more than 200 injuries and three fatalities. If you or your loved one sustained harm in a wreck on Main Street, Aspen Street, United States Route 321, or any other roadway in or around Lincolnton, we can help.
A car accident attorney on our team can build a personal injury case and fight for your financial recovery. Preparing to file a claim or a lawsuit is a complex process. From collecting evidence to navigating legal jargon, our law firm can ease the burden by managing your case for you.
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we can help you by:
- Reviewing the crash report: We can carefully inspect your case to identify the at-fault party or parties.
- Collecting evidence: We will build an evidence file to support your claim. This may include medical records, crash site data, photographs, video, and more.
- Interviewing witnesses: We can interview any witnesses who saw the wreck and can corroborate your claim. We can also call on experts to testify, such as medical professionals, economists, and accident reconstruction specialists.
- Managing communication and paperwork: We will take on all communications with insurance companies, attorneys, etc., and be responsible for the proper filing of any paperwork relevant to your case. This ensures you do not miss important deadlines or unintentionally say something to the opposing parties that they could use against you.
- Negotiating a potential settlement: We can negotiate with the opposing party for fair out-of-court compensation.
- Presenting your case at trial: If necessary, we can present your case in court.
- Providing you updates: We will keep you abreast of all new information, court notes, and other messages throughout the litigation process.
Economic Damages You Can Seek for Your Car Accident
Economic damages are tangible losses that you’ve incurred due to your car wreck in Lincolnton. These may include:
- Ambulance fees
- Emergency department fees
- Medical bills
- Costs for medications and/or medical devices
- Medical procedures
- Rehabilitation or physical therapy
- Travel expenses to and from medical appointments
- Long-term and in-home health services
- Car repair and/or replacement costs
- Personal property damage
- The value of household services you cannot perform due to your injuries (cleaning, driving, lawn care, etc.)
- The cost of modifying your home or vehicle to accommodate a permanent or disabling injury
- Current or future loss of wages
Collecting receipts, documents, and invoices to calculate the monetary value for each of these damages can be tedious and overwhelming. Our car wreck lawyer can manage this process for you to calculate an accurate value so we can fight for fair compensation.
Non-Economic Car Wreck Damages
Not all car wreck damages are tangible. If you have severe injuries that alter your way of life, you may qualify for monetary awards for your pain and suffering. Also referred to as non-economic damages, they may include compensation for:
- Mental anguish
- Emotional suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Impairment to mobility
- Stress and anxiety
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of a body part or bodily function
- Chronic injuries
- Discontinuation of professional and/or educational goals
- Inability to participate in hobbies and activities you once enjoyed
- Inability to provide for dependents
These damages are subjective, which means the above list is not inclusive, and you may qualify for additional compensation. According to G.S. § 90-21(19), there is no cap to the non-economic damages you can receive in personal injury cases involving car wrecks. Our car wreck lawyer can help you understand all the details during a free case review.
North Carolina Wrongful Death Compensation
If your loved one suffered a fatal car wreck injury, you can pursue awards on their behalf. According to G.S. § 28A-18-2, the deceased’s personal representative (executor) can file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover awards for the deceased’s estate and survivors. Compensation may include:
- Medical expenses related to the deceased’s fatal injury
- The deceased’s pain and suffering from the time of injury until death
- Burial and funeral costs
- The deceased’s lost income (including future lost income)
- Loss of deceased’s care, services, love, protection, and guidance
Determining Liability for Your Car Wreck in Lincolnton
Often, personal injury claims for car wrecks result from negligent and reckless driving behavior. Drivers must follow traffic laws in order to preserve the safety of pedestrians and other drivers on the road. Negligent actions are those that a reasonable person in the same situation would not have engaged in, as they put others at risk.
Negligence can cause car wrecks when a person or entity acts with poor judgment. Examples include:
- Driving while distracted (texting and driving)
- Improperly changing lanes
- Making an improper turn
- Failing to stop at traffic lights or stop signs
- Failing to yield
- Driving drunk
- Aggressive driving (road rage)
Car Collisions and Serious Injuries
Often, car wrecks lead to severe and even life-threatening injuries. For example, victims may experience:
- Organ damage
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Dislocated joints
- Broken and fractured bones
- Other trauma
Serious injuries such as these can dramatically impact your way of life—you may be unable to work or engage in activities that you previously enjoyed. In general, the more severe your injury and the more it interferes with your life, the higher your settlement may be.
However, the at-fault driver’s insurance provider will only compensate you up to the value of their client’s insurance policy. According to the DMV, North Carolina drivers must have a minimum of $30,000 in bodily injury protection per person, $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 in property damage liability.
If you have severe, permanent, or disabling injuries, your losses may be higher than the involved insurance policies will cover. In cases involving catastrophic or fatal injuries, a car accident lawyer from our firm could file a lawsuit on your behalf to recoup these losses.
The Time Limit to File a Lawsuit in Lincolnton, NC
Although you may qualify for compensation for economic damages and/or non-economic damages, there is a deadline by which you must file your lawsuit.
In North Carolina, there are different deadlines to respect depending on whether you’re filing a personal injury lawsuit or a wrongful death lawsuit:
- If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a car wreck: You must abide by S. § 1-52. The personal injury statute of limitations generally gives you three years from the date of the wreck to file.
- If someone you love passed away in a car wreck: You must abide by S. § 1-53. The wrongful death statute of limitations generally gives you two years from the date of the death to file.
Failing to initiate a lawsuit by the deadline can result in case dismissal. The court will likely bar you from pursuing compensation if this happens, leaving you financially responsible for your own economic and non-economic damages.
Even if you feel confident you will reach an agreement outside of court, an expired time limit can reduce your bargaining power and may lead to a lower settlement.
Contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC for Help
A car wreck can cause many different kinds of damages. If your collision occurred because of someone else’s negligent actions, you should not get stuck with the resulting financial losses. You deserve compensation for your expenses and pain and suffering, and our team can help you pursue the most advantageous settlement or verdict available.
Our Lincolnton car accident lawyer is here to serve you and stand as your advocate throughout the insurance claims process or legal proceedings. For help fighting for compensation from another party, contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC today. Our team is ready to discuss your case during a free consultation.