Suppose you have injuries after being hit by a vehicle while riding a bicycle. In that case, a Hickory bicycle accident lawyer can help. You deserve compensation for your injuries but may not know where to start. Our bicycle accident team will fight to ensure you receive all the benefits you are entitled to.
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, cares about all our clients. Our team consists of several dedicated lawyers with years of experience in personal injury and vehicle accident cases. We offer a free case evaluation and payment on a contingency fee basis, so you take zero risk in contacting our firm about your claim.
In This Article
What Are Recoverable Damages?
If you ride a bicycle and have been in a vehicle wreck, you deserve compensation for your injuries. Our bicycle accident team will fight for you. The payment you might receive varies depending on your wreck’s circumstances, the degree of your injuries, and other factors.
Economic compensation is directly related to costs and expenses incurred due to your injuries. They include medical bills and lost wages that you would not have had without the injuries from the wreck. They may include:
- Medical expenses: All the expenses relating to the wreck will be in this category. Ambulance transportation, emergency room costs, hospitalization, medical procedures, diagnostic testing, pharmaceuticals, doctors, physical therapy, and chiropractic treatment.
- Lost wages/reduced earning capacity: If you were unable to work due to your injuries, you could receive compensation for your lost wages, including commissions, benefits, potential raises, and bonuses. Suppose you can return to work but have limitations and cannot perform your previous capacity. In that case, you can receive compensation for a reduced earning capacity.
- Long-term medical care: If you have severe injuries that require long-term care, home modifications, or daily in-home assistance, those future costs can be included in compensation settlements.
- Property damage: Compensation to repair or replace your bicycle and any other personal property, such as a watch or clothing, damaged during your wreck can be included in your claim.
All economic damages can be documented with bills, medical statements, and additional receipts.
There is no formula to calculate non-economic compensable damages, which are non-tangible and have no direct correlation to an expense. They may include:
- Pain and suffering: After a wreck, your injuries may cause significant physical pain, and you may also suffer emotional distress, anxiety, depression, and other things that affect many aspects of your life.
- Lower quality of life: When you have an injury, you can’t always do what you previously did. This leads to less enjoyment of life and can cause stress, mental anguish, and depression.
- Disfigurement and scarring: If your physical appearance is different due to your wreck, you may receive compensation to assist in dealing with the changes.
- Disability or impaired mobility: If your wreck caused a permanent disability or impaired mobility, you might have to learn to do things differently. This compensation area should assist in adapting to any physical impairment.
While these items don’t have a direct financial impact, they are included as compensation to assist you in recovering as well as you are able.
If you lost a loved one when their bicycle was hit by a vehicle, allow us to extend our condolences during this difficult time. We will work tirelessly to lessen the financial impact of their loss.
We can fight for compensation for your family, such as:
- Funeral and burial expenses: These expenses can devastate a family’s finances, especially with an accidental and unexpected death.
- Loss of financial support: If you lost the primary supporter for your family, you may receive compensation for the lost income your family would have received if you had not lost your family member.
- Loss of companionship: Your loved one was integral to your family and while money cannot replace them, you deserve justice.
For a legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Hickory, call 828.286.3866
The Benefits of Working With a Hickory Bicycle Accident Lawyer
With our Hickory bicycle accident team, you can count on us to fight for you and your family. Perhaps the most significant benefit is your peace of mind knowing that we are fighting for you.
The legal system is complex, and you have a lot to deal with recovering from your ordeal. Let us reduce your stress by taking this off your shoulders. You concentrate on healing while we handle all the legwork.
Hickory Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Hiring a Lawyer Begins With a Free Case Evaluation
You may not feel it is necessary to hire a lawyer for a bicycle accident claim. Our free initial case evaluation isn’t just a sales gimmick. We will listen to the details of your case and provide a sincere and honest opinion of the compensation you may be able to receive. We want you to make an informed decision on whether you need a law firm to assist you.
If you decide to allow us to work with you, we will handle your claim on a contingency basis. That means we don’t get paid until you do. We will pursue every available option for compensation on your behalf.
What a Hickory Bicycle Accident Lawyer Will Do for You
When our bicycle accident team takes on your case, we begin building a solid case that will hold up to scrutiny and allow you to receive as much compensation as possible. Some of the areas we assist you with include:
- Free initial case evaluation
- Answering questions you may have about your claim
- Explaining your rights and outlining your options
- Conducting an independent investigation
- Discovering who is liable for your injuries
- Interviewing witnesses
- Obtaining video and photographic evidence
- Obtaining the police report
- Speaking with insurance companies and claims adjusters on your behalf
- Completing necessary paperwork and filing it on time
- Negotiating with the liable party/parties for potential settlement
- If necessary, representing you in court
You can count on our Hickory bicycle accident team to handle your case professionally and thoroughly.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
Filing Deadlines and the Statute of Limitations
You have three years to file a claim for personal injuries in North Carolina from a bicycle-vehicle accident per GS §1-52. If you lost a loved one, the statute of limitations per GS §1-53 is only two years from the date of death. Filing as soon as practicable after an accident is optimal.
Two and three years may feel like a long time but they can go by very quickly. You are dealing with either a traumatic injury, a painful loss, or both, and time can get away from you. Our bicycle accident lawyers can ensure you meet state requirements on time.
Hickory, NC Is Not Necessarily a Bicyclist’s Dream
There are as many as 1,000 bicycle accidents involving vehicles in North Carolina yearly. In Hickory in 2019, there were four reported wrecks, with one fatality and three reporting injuries. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that only 10 percent of all vehicle-bicycle accidents are reported to law enforcement. With a population of just over 40,000, Hickory’s bicycle accident ratio is alarmingly high.
Contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, to begin your free case evaluation if you were injured or lost a family member in a bicycle-vehicle wreck. Our entire team is prepared to fight for your compensation.
Call or text 828.286.3866 or complete a Case Evaluation form