When a motor vehicle hits a bicycle, there is nothing to protect the bicyclist from the impact. The resulting injuries can be catastrophic and lead to significant medical expenses, a lengthy recovery time, and life changes for the bicycle rider.
If you sustained injuries in a bicycle accident in Lenoir, NC, a lawyer with Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC can help you seek compensation for your financial damages, physical pain, and emotional and mental suffering. We can assist with a liability insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit against the responsible party.
Bicycle Wreck Injuries in North Carolina
Nestled in the North Carolina Foothills, Lenoir offers many scenic trails for cyclists, including the nine-mile Lenoir Greenway. But, even the most bicycle-friendly communities still see accidents. According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT), there were 29 reported bicycle crashes in Lenoir from 2010 to 2020.
Furthermore, NCDOT reports that 272 bicyclists suffered severe crash injuries in North Carolina from 2015 to 2019. During the same time, 107 bicyclists died from wreck injuries.
If a motor vehicle hit you or a loved one, you can seek justice. Our personal injury attorneys can pursue compensation for medical bills and other damages arising from:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head, neck, and shoulder injuries
- Severe cuts and contusions (road rash)
- Broken, fractured, or crushed bones
- Sprain and strains
- Facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
For a legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Lenoir, call 828.286.3866
Common Causes of Bicycle Collisions
Motor vehicles must share the road with bicyclists. According to G.S. § 20, the law considers a bicycle a motor vehicle, and bicyclists must obey traffic laws. Likewise, motorists must watch for bicyclists and afford them the same duty of care as they would other drivers.
If your bicycle wreck stemmed from another party’s reckless or wrongful actions, they should pay for your financial losses and pain and suffering. Factors that contribute to bicycle collisions and cyclist injuries include:
- Driver intoxication
- Improper turns
- Following or passing a bicycle too closely
- Dense traffic (urban areas)
- Poor lighting
- Lack of crosswalks or poorly designed intersections
- Failure to maintain lane position/traveling into a bicycle lane
- Failure to yield
- Failure to stop at a red light or stop sign
You can see that some bicycle accidents result from driver behavior, and others relate to the environment. If your accident occurred because of an issue with the roadway, you may have a claim against the government or private entity in charge of its design and maintenance. Additionally, if your collision involved an equipment problem, such as a blown tire or defective brakes, we may be able to help you with a claim against the manufacturer.
Lenoir Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
You Deserve Compensation for Your Bicycle Accident Damages
Whatever the cause of your bicycle wreck, we want to help you seek fair compensation from the liable party. Our Lenoir bicycle accident lawyer will help you fight for awards for:
- Medical expenses – We can secure compensation for your current and ongoing medical treatment so that your health care needs do not result in financial hardship for you and your family. Medical awards may include ambulance fees, emergency room services, doctor and hospital bills, surgeries, physical therapy, occupational therapy, prescription drugs, medical equipment, in-home health care, long-term nursing care, and more.
- Lost wages – A severe injury can lead to an extended absence from work while you recover. You may also have a permanent or disabling injury that prevents you from working or returning to your previous job at all. We can seek compensation for your lost income, benefits, earnings, and lost future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering – Bicycle wreck injuries can cause physical pain, mental and emotional suffering, and change how you live and work, especially if you sustained a disabling injury. We can seek monetary awards for intangible damages, including depression, anxiety, loss of mobility, loss of a bodily function, scarring, disfigurement, and the inability to perform tasks or participate in activities you engaged in before your injury.
- Property damages – We can recover the cost of fixing or replacing your damaged bicycle or other property, including cell phones, watches, laptops, and jewelry.
- Accommodations and household assistance – Your injuries may require that you update your home or vehicle to be more accessible. You may also need to hire help with household services, such as laundry, lawn care, childcare, or transportation. We can assist you with recouping these and other miscellaneous accident-related costs.
- Wrongful death – A wrongful death action is a type of personal injury case that allows surviving family members to recover compensation on behalf of a deceased loved one. In North Carolina, the deceased’s personal representative (executor) must file the suit on behalf of the deceased’s estate and family. Recoverable damages include medical bills, funeral and burial expenses, lost income, and loss of the deceased’s advice, love, guidance, support, and protection.
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC Will Handle Your Bicycle Wreck Case
Our attorneys and staff have one goal – to provide excellent representation to personal injury clients. We understand this is a challenging time for you and your family, and we want to help by shouldering the legal burden required to get you justice. Our team will:
- Investigate your accident and collect available evidence, including medical records, police reports, eyewitness and expert testimony, photographs, and videos
- Assess your losses, draft your demand letter, and file your claim
- Take care of case-related phone calls, emails, and meetings
- Represent you during negotiations and strive to achieve the best settlement agreement possible
- File a lawsuit and represent you at trial if necessary
It is a good idea to get started on your case as soon as you are able. According to G.S. § 1-52, you have three years from the date of your wreck to file a personal injury lawsuit. You have two years from the date of your loved one’s passing to file a wrongful death case, according to G.S. § 1-53. Neglecting these time limits could result in a reduced or denied settlement or a dismissed case.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us Today to Connect with Our Lenoir Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC to get started on your case with a free, no-obligation consultation.