If you’re a resident of Spartanburg, Cherokee, or Union County, you may be eligible to seek assistance at the Spartanburg Social Security Office. This article deep dives into everything you need to know about this location, including contact information and services.
If you need help filing a Social Security Disability claim or appeal for benefits, an attorney with Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can step in and represent you throughout all proceedings.
Contact Information for the Spartanburg Social Security Office
Per the Social Security Administration (SSA), you can find the Spartanburg Social Security Office at:
145 N Church St
Spartanburg, South Carolina 29306
To schedule an appointment, learn more about their services, and all other inquiries, you can reach this location by calling:
- Phone: 1-866-701-6620
- TTY: 1-800-325-0778
- Fax: 1-833-912-2290
Their office hours are:
- Monday: 9 am to 4 pm
- Tuesday: 9 am to 4 pm
- Wednesday: 9 am to 4 pm
- Thursday: 9 am to 4 pm
- Friday: 9 am to 4 pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
How to Get to the Spartanburg Location
You can find the Spartanburg Social Security office at the Business Technology Center, which is on the corner of North Church and Commerce Streets. It’s a large, white five-story building. You may park at the Dunbar Street Parking Garage behind the Spartanburg bus station. There are two entrances: one on Dunbar Street and the other on Commerce Street.
Types of Services the Spartanburg Social Security Office Provides
The following services are available at the Spartanburg Social Security office:
- Requesting a new or replacement Social Security card
- Applying for Medicare and/or getting a new card for Medicare
- Getting an estimation of your retirement benefits
- Applying for Social Security Disability benefits
- Applying for Social Security retirement benefits
- Submit changes to your name and address
- Getting copies of your proof of benefits
- Scheduling or changing the direct deposit of your Social Security benefits
- Requesting to review your earning history or Social Security statement
The staff can assist you in English or Spanish.
How to Prepare for Your Appointment at the Spartanburg Social Security Office
To help make your experience at the Spartanburg location go as smoothly as possible, consider taking these steps:
- Bring all required documents, such as your Social Security card, birth certificate, government ID, proof of income, and medical records. If you’re not sure what you need, call the office, and they can give you a list. Go through the list a few times before you leave to make sure you didn’t forget anything.
- Bring a snack since the wait can be pretty long. If you’re hungry by the time the staff member calls you in for your appointment, you may have a hard time concentrating on the issue at hand.
- Ask for clarity. If you’re ever unsure about something regarding your appointment or the paperwork you need to fill out, don’t hesitate to call and ask one of the staff members for clarification. You don’t want to risk any surprises after you’ve taken time out of your day for this visit.
As mentioned, the wait times at Social Security offices can be lengthy, so try not to plan too many other things the day you come in. However, if you have a busy schedule, try to come set up an early morning appointment so you can get in and out quickly.
About Spartanburg, South Carolina
As of 2021, 38,401 people reside in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The family-friendly has a lot to offer its residents, as well as its visitors. Outdoor adventures, arts and culture, history, agriculture, a fun nightlife—you name it. There’s something for everyone.
On a broader scale, 322,864 people live in Spartanburg County. The median household income is $57,627 that year. It’s a fairly young city, too, with the median age for residents being 38.1 years old.
Frequently Asked Questions About Social Security
Many of our clients come to us with questions about Social Security and what the different processes entail. We’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked to help you feel more at ease.
What Is Social Security Disability?
Social Security Disability (SSD) is the umbrella term that accounts for two benefits programs:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): If you have worked a certain number of work credits after paying Social Security and working, worked at least five years out of the last decade, you’ve been unable to work for the last 12 months, and/or you have to stop working forever, you may qualify for this program.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI): If you are at retirement age and have limited income, assets, and financial resources, you may be eligible to receive benefits from this program.
Depending on your financial and medical needs, you may apply for benefits from both SSD programs.
Do I Have to Make an Appointment at the Social Security Office?
You don’t have to, but we highly recommend you schedule an appointment. The wait times are long with an appointment already. Without one, you could be spending a big chunk of your day at the office.
I Don’t Want to Go to the Spartanburg Office. What Are My Other Options?
If you rather not go to the Spartanburg Social Security location, your other options include:
Greenville Social Security Office
319 Pelham Rd
Greenville, South Carolina 29615
Clinton Social Security Office
292 Professional Park Rd
Clinton, South Carolina 29325
Shelby Social Security Office
707 Schenck St
Shelby, North Carolina 28150
Contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, to Learn More About Social Security
If you live near or around Spartanburg, Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can help you navigate your Social Security matters. Reach out to us today.