If you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle accident in Marion, North Carolina, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. A Marion motorcycle accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC can help you fight for that money.
Compensation can help you cover many accident-related expenses and reimburse you for medical costs, repair costs, lost paychecks, and more.
Your Steps Following a Marion Motorcycle Accident
What steps should you take after a motorcycle accident in Marion, NC? Professionals generally recommend that you:
Contact the Authorities
Legally, it’s expected that you report a motorcycle accident to the police anytime it causes significant property damage, injuries, or a fatality. Reaching out to the police allows them to assess what happened and file an official report, which can help you claim.
Does your phone have a camera on it? If so, we suggest that you get pictures of the scene of the collision. Focus on getting shots that show:
- Your injuries
- The damage to your motorcycle
- The other driver’s vehicle
- Any hazards that contributed to the accident
Get Contact Information
In addition to taking pictures of the accident scene, make sure that you take a moment to gather contact information from any eyewitnesses and other drivers involved in the accident. Your motorcycle accident attorney in Marion may contact these people to support your claim.
Seek Medical Care
Did you sustain injuries in your motorcycle accident? In this situation, make sure that you visit a medical professional for treatment. Getting care quickly helps to show that the accident caused your injuries, instead of another event.
Consider Working With a Lawyer
A lawyer can provide you with more personalized direction and handle all aspects of your claim, letting you focus on your recovery.
Avoid These Actions After a Motorcycle Accident
It’s equally important to avoid certain behaviors. Make sure that you avoid discussing the accident or admitting fault to anyone. We generally recommend that you do not make social media posts about the collision.
Additionally, take care during your interactions with insurance agents representing other parties in the accident. A lawyer from our firm can manage communications and negotiations with insurers on your behalf.
Once you accept a settlement offer, it’s much harder to seek additional compensation. The first offers made by insurance companies after an accident often fail to cover all the losses involved in your case.
Negligence Can Lead to Motorcycle Accidents in Marion
What causes motorcycle accidents in Marion? These collisions often occur when other drivers fail to pay attention while driving. They may:
- Make a turn into the path of a motorcycle
- Open a door into a motorcycle’s path
- Change lanes without seeing a motorcyclist
Drivers often make dangerous errors if they drive while distracted, impaired by alcohol, or fatigued. Some drivers cause accidents simply because they are impatient and driving in an aggressive way. For example, they may speed, run red lights, or swerve between lanes.
Our team can assess the specific cause of your motorcycle accident in Marion. We listen to your account of what happened and support your claim.
How Can Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, Assist with a Motorcycle Accident Case?
Instead of trying to juggle your career, your injuries, your family life, and a lawsuit, put your case in the hands of Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC. We can assign you a motorcycle accident lawyer who serves Marion and knows how to handle cases like yours. We can take care of everything, including:
Investigating the Accident
Your testimony is an essential piece of evidence, but it is only one piece. To make your case as strong as possible, your attorney will also seek out evidence by:
- Visiting the accident scene
- Requesting a copy of the police report
- Requesting a copy of your medical records
- Reviewing photos and videos of the accident
- Tracking down witnesses
Not only can such evidence prove your need for damages, but it will also show how the other party is liable for the crash and should pay those damages.
Being Your Middleman
The idea of confronting a big insurance company by yourself can be intimidating, especially if you have not fully recovered from the accident. Your attorney can make the legal process easier on you by:
- Notifying the liable party about the lawsuit
- Arranging to meet with the liable party and their insurance company
- Negotiating with the insurance company for a fair settlement
- Delivering messages (including settlement offers) from the liable party to you
- Delivering responses from you to the liable party
Taking Your Case to Court
Many cases end in satisfactory settlements and do not go to court at all. Unfortunately, there are cases where the insurance company refuses to offer appropriate compensation. If that happens to you, your attorney can continue to fight for you by:
- Scheduling trial dates
- Compiling and submitting evidence to the court
- Preparing and delivering opening and closing statements
- Locating and questioning witnesses
Demystifying the Legal Process
We understand how complicated the legal process can appear from the outside. To ease your anxieties and make your lawsuit go smoothly, we will:
- Keep you informed about the case’s progress
- Make sure you understand your rights
- Explain your options at every stage
- Help you make important legal decisions
- Respond quickly when you call with questions
What Types of Damages Can You Collect for a Motorcycle Accident?
You are allowed to seek economic and non-economic damages, depending on how seriously you were injured. We can help you assign a monetary value to these damages.
The following is a partial list of economic damages you could collect:
- Medical costs: Did you need treatment from a doctor, dentist, surgeon, pharmacist, or another medical professional?
- Repair costs: Did you have to pay someone to fix your motorcycle? Was the damage so extensive that you had to buy a new motorcycle?
- Loss of wages: Did you have to take time off from work to allow your injuries to heal? Or, if you were still able to work, did you have to cut back on hours or perform lower-paying, light-duty assignments?
- Loss of employment: Did you have to leave your old job because you can no longer fulfill your professional responsibilities? Do you have to retrain for a new position because you can no longer work in your old one?
As with economic damages, a motorcycle accident lawyer on our team can tell you how much your non-economic damages—that is, your physical and emotional injuries—are worth. We’ve outlined examples of these damages below:
- Pain and suffering: Has your physical and mental well-being suffered due to the accident and your injuries?
- Scarring or disfigurement: Do you have scarring from your injuries? Are these scars painful? Have they permanently altered your appearance and self-image?
- Disability: Did you suffer brain damage or another intellectual injury? Have you lost the use of a body part due to amputation, chronic pain, or reduced range of motion?
- Impaired quality of life: Are you unable to live independently or handle everyday tasks by yourself? Do your injuries prevent you from participating in fun hobbies or activities?
How the Statute of Limitations Affects Your Case
The statute of limitations limits your ability to collect damages. This is a law that gives individuals a specific timeframe in which to seek damages after an accident.
The statute of limitations is three years in personal injury cases, as codified at G.S. § 1-52. For wrongful death cases, the statute of limitations is a little shorter: you have just two years to begin your case, according to G.S. § 1-53. If you start after these dates, you cannot collect any damages at all.
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can help you with both types of cases. Get in touch with us before the relevant statute runs out.
Affording a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Different law firms use various payment methods. At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we work for a contingent fee in injury cases. This means:
- We charge nothing up front.
- We only charge attorney’s fees if you get money from your case.
- Our fee is a percentage of your settlement or award.
If you have any questions or concerns about your ability to pay, talk to us about it before making any final decisions.
Speak With Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, Today
Want more information about how a motorcycle accident lawyer from our team can help with your Marion personal injury case?
Reach Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, with our online contact form. We provide free case reviews, and we charge no attorney’s fees in injury cases unless and until you recover compensation.