According to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV), nearly 5,000 automobile accidents in the state involved a semi-truck or tractor-trailer, with over 1,000 accidents resulting in injury. High traffic areas where commercial vehicles pass, including Interstate 40 or US Highways 64 and 70, put drivers at risk of injury or death should they get involved in accidents.
If you or a loved one in Morganton suffered injuries in an accident involving a commercial truck, you might have grounds to pursue compensation from that driver or their employer. A Morganton truck accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can investigate your accident to identify the liable party or parties, then gather resources to build your case.
In This Article
- Proving Negligence in a Morganton Truck Accident Case
- What Compensation Can Morganton Truck Accident Victims Receive?
- How a Morganton Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help Build Your Case
- Our Attorney Can Determine Who May Owe You Compensation for Damages
- How Much Compensation Could You Get After a Morganton Truck Wreck?
- How Much Do Morganton Truck Accident Attorneys Charge?
- Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, to Hire a Morganton Truck Accident Lawyer
Proving Negligence in a Morganton Truck Accident Case
Truck wrecks in Morganton can leave you facing extensive losses. Fortunately, you have the chance to seek compensation for all of your accident-related damages, including your medical bills, lost income, and more. You have a chance to secure financial recovery if:
- The other party owed you a duty of care
- The other party violated their duty to you
- The other party’s actions led to your truck wreck
- The truck wreck caused your injuries and losses
A Morganton truck accident attorney can review your accident to determine if you have a case for compensation. You can discuss details with a team member during an initial free consultation.
For a legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Morganton, call 828.286.3866
What Compensation Can Morganton Truck Accident Victims Receive?
Whether your accident took place on West Fleming Drive or I-40, crashing with a semi-truck or other large commercial vehicle can cause severe, if not devastating, damages. Still, it doesn’t require a catastrophic injury like a spinal cord injury to qualify you for damages. If you or a loved one sustained an injury or died in a truck wreck, you could be eligible to recover compensation.
In personal injury cases, plaintiffs can demand compensation for these damages:
- Medical expenses: You could recover for emergency room care, hospitalization, doctor’s appointments, physical therapy, surgeries, and future medical care you might need to recover from your injuries. You may also demand compensation for prescription medications and medical devices you must purchase to treat your injuries.
- Income loss: If you had to use paid time off (PTO) or miss work to recuperate from the accident, you could request compensation for wages you lost. Also, suppose your injuries affect your ability to return to your regular position. In that case, you could petition for the difference in salary or wages you would have earned had you not been injured.
- Pain and suffering: This type of damage can be an umbrella term for various non-economic damages, which apply to physical and emotional losses. Your lawyer can assign a monetary value to the physical and emotional pain you felt during and after the accident. This trauma can include emotional distress, permanent disability, psychological anguish, depression, and anxiety.
- Property damage: If your vehicle suffered damage in the truck accident, you might recover the costs to repair or replace the vehicle, depending on how severe the physical damage is.
- Wrongful death damages: If you lost a loved one in the truck wreck, you might file a separate action regarding their wrongful death to pursue damages like funeral expenses, loss of consortium, and loss of parental guidance or companionship. North Carolina requires a personal representative of the deceased to file for compensation, which our law firm can identify for you.
These are some common examples of compensatory damages, but your case may involve damages not listed here. Our legal team can review your case and discuss which damages to pursue during your free initial consultation.
Morganton Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
How a Morganton Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help Build Your Case
If you decide to work with a Morganton truck accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we will prepare your case by:
- Analyzing the official crash report to identify potentially liable parties and understand what information the responding officer recorded
- Conducting a separate investigation into your accident to retrieve more information and collect evidence to support your claims
- Contacting eyewitnesses and expert witnesses to testify on your behalf
- Handling communications with insurance adjusters, opposing attorneys, and other inquiring parties to protect you from making statements they could use against you
- Negotiating a potential settlement with the opposing party
- Taking your case to court if necessary
Your legal team will assess your case after a collision. We can advise you on the best way to proceed, which could involve settling with the insurance company or filing a civil lawsuit. We maintain open lines of communication while handling your case, providing you with the answers you need.
Our Attorney Can Determine Who May Owe You Compensation for Damages
In many truck wrecks, the liable party is not necessarily the truck driver – even if the driver was at fault for the accident. Depending on the truck driver’s employment status, you could hold another party liable for the wreck. In some cases, multiple liable parties might exist.
Some possible liable parties in truck accident cases include:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company that employs the driver
- The maintenance company that worked on the truck
- The loading company that stocked the truck
- The truck’s manufacturer
- A truck parts manufacturer
- A municipality in charge of safe road conditions where the accident took place
- A third-party driver who started a chain reaction that led to the truck colliding with you
Our legal team can investigate your case to determine who you could hold liable for your damages. If necessary, we can help you file multiple insurance claims or personal injury lawsuits against the appropriate parties.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
How Much Compensation Could You Get After a Morganton Truck Wreck?
The compensation you could receive after a truck accident depends on several factors. Often, lawyers focus on the extent of the damages you experienced when considering your level of compensation. If you sustained severe injuries, you may receive a higher settlement.
Note that insurance companies may try to convince you to settle your case immediately after an accident. We recommend that you allow our Morganton truck accident lawyer to look over any settlement before you accept it, as early offers may not cover the full extent of your losses.
Once you accept a settlement, you cannot seek additional compensation if future expenses related to your accident arise. Let us guide you through the legal process to protect your financial future.
How Much Do Morganton Truck Accident Attorneys Charge?
Unlike some attorneys who demand a fee upfront to secure their services, our team of lawyers works on a contingency-fee basis. This means you pay nothing out-of-pocket for us to work on your case. Our lawyers only receive payment after resolving your claim or lawsuit through a settlement or verdict in your favor. You only pay us if we win the case for you.
In addition, you can discuss the circumstances of your accident with our dedicated team member for free. During this complimentary consultation, you can learn more about what your case is worth, who may be liable, and what your best options are to seek compensation for the pain you have suffered.
How Long Can You Wait to File a Truck Accident Claim?
In North Carolina, G.S. § 1-52 dictates that plaintiffs have three years from the date of their wreck to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Keep in mind that several aspects of building your case can take months, so you should take that into account when deciding how to proceed with your case. If you file your lawsuit late, the court might bar you from pursuing compensation.
Contacting a lawyer right after your accident also allows your legal team to speak with witnesses and gather evidence quickly. These steps can help us construct a strong claim for you, focusing on securing compensation for all your losses.
Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, to Hire a Morganton Truck Accident Lawyer
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we advocate for truck accident victims in Morganton and want to help injured people like you fight for the compensation you need. You can reach us for personalized care and support.
When you call our firm, you receive a free consultation with one of our team members. We can answer any questions you have, then have one of our Morganton truck accident lawyers begin working on your case. Call today to get started.