Filing bankruptcy is a detailed process that involves document and information collection, credit counseling, completing and filing a myriad of forms, working with a bankruptcy trustee, and attending required meetings. Because the process can be daunting, you may consider working with a bankruptcy lawyer familiar with state and federal bankruptcy laws.
You do not have to navigate the complex bankruptcy process and the mountain of paperwork it entails on your own. When our law firm represents you, we make sure you understand how to file bankruptcy in South Carolina and help you manage the details and paperwork. We also ensure you know the benefits and advantages of filing, choose the right chapter to file under, and how we represent you in court.
In This Article
Understanding the Bankruptcy Process
The bankruptcy process is detailed and can be challenging to cope with on your own. When our team handles your case, we stay by your side throughout the bankruptcy process, which can include:
- Complying with required credit counseling
- Preparing all forms and schedules, including exemptions
- Completing and submitting a form and bankruptcy petition
- Cooperating with the appointed bankruptcy trustee
- Attending the required 341 meeting of creditors
Once your case is closed, you will be free of financial stress and have the opportunity to start rebuilding your financial life. Closing your case usually takes between several days and several weeks. Our team will keep you updated on your status and your case’s progress.
Choosing the Right Form of Bankruptcy
With so many options available, it can be difficult to read and review each chapter’s options and income and debt requirements. Our firm represents clients who choose the following forms of bankruptcy protection:
- Chapter 7 – for filers who wish to liquidate or eliminate all or most debt and retain ownership of their real and personal property
- Chapter 11 – for corporations, partnerships, small business owners, and individuals who will benefit from reorganizing their debt without losing their business
- Chapter 12 – for family farmers and fishermen who will benefit by creating a plan to pay off their debt over a specified period
- Chapter 13 – for individuals with a regular source of income who will benefit from readjusting their debt while retaining ownership of their home
We weigh your secured and unsecured debt, individual or corporate filing status, and projected income to help you understand your options.
For a legal consultation, call 828.286.3866
The Benefits of Our Bankruptcy Law Firm
According to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the District of South Carolina, the bankruptcy process is technical and complicated. So much so that the majority of cases where an attorney is not involved are unsuccessful. When our team handles your case, we will:
- Collect, complete, and file all required forms
- Prepare and submit your bankruptcy petition
- Ensure you attend all required meetings and court sessions
Our team also makes sure you understand the role of the credit counselor and trustee in your case. We look at the specifics of your financial past, current, and future financial prospects and help you choose the bankruptcy chapter that will provide you with the best form of financial relief.
Hear From Some of Our Previous Clients
Our law firm works hard to make sure every client we represent gets the individual time and attention they deserve. In our Google reviews and on our reviews page, previous clients say:
- “Hannah Davies (and her team) makes complicated matters easy to understand while taking care of all the granular details in her client’s best interest… I have been doing business with Farmer & Morris for 15+ years now, without disappointment.” – Bostic Motors Inc (BMI)
- “My husband and I would like to take a minute to thank Mrs. Davies, a lawyer with Farmer & Morris Law, who helped us tremendously. Friendly, attentive, and respectful, Mrs. Davies is the best attorney you will ever find, so willing to assist you… Thank you for your hard work!” – Sarah Hansley
- “Mrs. Hannah Davies listened intently to our needs and thoroughly researched our available options… She was friendly, courteous, knowledgeable, and totally professional. We would recommend her heartily to any of our family and friends.” – Linda VanCamp
We provide you with regular and timely updates on your case’s progress and help you benefit from required credit counseling and other financial management services that can maximize your fresh financial start.
Get a Free Case Review Today
If you are plagued by insurmountable debt that far exceeds your income, our legal team can help you understand how filing for bankruptcy in South Carolina can ease your financial strain. We will answer all your questions about your pending bankruptcy filing and help you determine which one best fits your needs.
Find out more by calling one of our Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, team members at (828) 286-3866 today.