In many cases, filing Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy can prevent you from being evicted, at least temporarily. When your case is filed – even before its final resolution – the automatic stay can put a stop to most collection actions, including evictions. It can provide you with immediate financial relief and peace of mind.
If you are prepared to file for certain forms of bankruptcy, our legal team can help you choose the right Chapter to file under. The appropriate type of bankruptcy can stop eviction in North Carolina. When we manage your bankruptcy case, we explain your options and help you start rebuilding your financial future without losing your rental home or apartment.
In This Article
How an Automatic Stay Works
11 USC § 362 – the automatic stay – is one of the most compelling features of filing for bankruptcy in large part because it takes effect immediately. While our team is helping you to complete forms and documents and attend required sessions and meetings, the automatic stay:
- Alleviates stress and anxiety
- Stops creditors from hounding you
- May prevent you from being evicted
Because the automatic stay does not depend on a final resolution of your bankruptcy case, its benefits are immense. They can help you avoid many negative consequences of overwhelming debt while your case is still pending. The length of an automatic stay can vary, and our team will help you understand how long you can benefit from this form of relief.
The Long-Term Effect of an Automatic Stay
When you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the resulting automatic stay can last for varying periods of time. It can last until:
- Your bankruptcy case is closed
- Your bankruptcy case is dismissed
The automatic stay for any debts that are discharged when your case is closed can be considered permanent. When you file for bankruptcy under Chapter 13, the stay remains in place throughout your repayment timeline.
For a legal consultation, call 828.286.3866
Our Firm Can Manage Your Bankruptcy Case
When you are seeking bankruptcies relief, the benefits are more than financial. When you trust our team to represent you, we help take the weight of a daunting process off your shoulders. We will:
- Handle all paperwork
- Complete and file all forms
- Represent you in court
We provide regular updates on your case and inform you of its final resolution. Our team also helps you create a detailed and meticulous creditor list to optimize the effectiveness of your dischargeable debts.
The Importance of Your Creditor List
As part of the bankruptcy process, U.S. Courts guidelines require you to submit a list of your creditors. Creating this list on your own can be more difficult than you think. Working with our team to create this critical list can mean:
- Ensuring no creditor (big or small) is omitted
- Ensuring all creditors on the list are notified of your filing status
- Providing you with a case number for persistent creditors
- Ensuring creditors comply with the automatic stay
Our case review team looks for readily identified creditors and for those that might be hidden or overlooked. We work hard to create a comprehensive and complete list of your creditors to maximize your financial relief.
Previous Clients Tell Their Stories
Filing for bankruptcy is a complex and frustrating experience. With support from our law firm, the process can be easier to navigate. Previous clients who worked with our team say:
- “I want to say that Mr. Caleb Farmer and Miss Sandie Greene helped me through one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. Going Bankrupt was very hard for me to do. Caleb and Sandie steered me step by step throughout the process… highly recommend them to anyone.” – Emil Makin
- “With Hannah as our attorney, we believed we had the best attorney for our needs…She was very gracious, confident, and deliberate in guiding us through this important process. Her knowledge of the law, and her thorough research into our needs was impressive.” – Woody and Normie Halverson
- My family and I cannot express enough how thankful we are for Miss Gabrielle Valentine’s efforts in representing us and serving our interests…Miss Valentine has managed to bring our stress level down just by caring and demonstrating a high level of professionalism.” – Corinne Deck
Our reviews page contains additional client testimonials and referrals that help you understand the benefits and advantages of working with our client-focused team.
Get Immediate Bankruptcy Help
If you are at risk of eviction, our bankruptcy team can help you avoid the immediate loss of your residence. Find out how we can help you file bankruptcy and stop eviction in North Carolina by contacting one of our case review team members. Call our Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC team at (828) 286-3866 today.
Call or text 828.286.3866 or complete a Case Evaluation form