Car accidents are all too common in Gaffney – particularly on I-85, which seems to be under indefinite construction, creating safety hazards for drivers. If you were hurt in one of these accidents, you could seek compensation from the at-fault party.
A Gaffney car accident lawyer at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can help you file an insurance claim or a lawsuit against the negligent party. You don’t have to stress over your case. During a free consultation, our legal experts will walk you through how these claims work and gather any pertinent information about what happened.
In This Article
- What To Do After A Car Accident In Gaffney
- South Carolina Law Allows Car Accident Victims To Seek Damages
- Common Car Accident Injuries To Sue For In Gaffney
- How A Car Accident Attorney At Our Firm Can Help
- Finding The Liable Parties In Your Gaffney Car Accident
- Dealing With The Insurance Company
- You Must File Your Car Accident Lawsuit On Time
- Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, For A Free Consultation
What To Do After A Car Accident In Gaffney
After you have been involved in a car accident in Gaffney, you may be left feeling scared, confused, and worried about what your next step should be. The initial steps you take after a car accident are vital. They can uncover the evidence that could be invaluable in establishing liability and proving the value of your claim.
Here are some of the first steps you should take after being involved in a Gaffney car accident:
- Contact 911 – Getting law enforcement and emergency responders to the accident scene is essential. Police can file police reports that could provide valuable evidence to support your case, and emergency responders will need to evaluate all involved parties’ injuries and get them treatment as needed.
- Gather evidence at the accident scene – Do what you can to document the accident scene if possible. This might include taking photos of your injuries, noting any property damages, writing down the names and insurance information of other involved parties, getting the contact information from any witnesses who saw the accident, and otherwise gathering evidence to help support your eventual car insurance and civil claims.
- Obtain a car accident medical evaluation – As soon as emergency responders arrive, obtain a medical evaluation. Do not shrug off your injuries as being minor or not severe enough to warrant medical attention. If your injuries are not treated, you could succumb to them at a later time. Invisible injuries are often catastrophic. Getting the medical attention you need can also help to ensure there is clear documentation of your injuries immediately after the accident. This leaves little opportunity for the defense to argue that your injuries did not occur in a car accident but instead occurred in another way.
- Reach out to a car accident attorney for help – After being medically evaluated, your next call should be to a car accident lawyer. Much of the evidence needed to establish fault is time sensitive. For example, many business establishments and homes will only retain surveillance footage for a few days or up to a week after the accident. If your attorney is unable to obtain this evidence, it could have a negative impact on the outcome of your case.
For a legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Gaffney, call 828.286.3866
South Carolina Law Allows Car Accident Victims To Seek Damages
Based on the details of your case, you may be able to pursue various damages. South Carolina law often allows victims filing civil suits to recover both monetary and non-monetary damages.
Your injuries may have left you with accumulating bills on top of physical and emotional trauma. All of these are covered under state law, in addition to several other types of losses. The list of potential damages, both economic and non-economic, includes:
- Doctor visits
- Car or other property repairs or replacements
- Emergency treatment
- Continuing medical care
- Inability to earn
- Lost income
- Emotional distress
- Chronic pain
- Reduced quality of life
- Psychological disorders resulting from the accident
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Calculating the value of your case based on these losses is essential for recovering fair compensation. A Gaffney accident attorney from our firm will gather documented proof of your injuries and damages to support your claim.
Gaffney Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Common Car Accident Injuries To Sue For In Gaffney
The type of injury you are dealing with will not necessarily determine your grounds for a claim. However, if your injuries are impactful, you may have grounds for a lawsuit.
Some types of Gaffney car accident injuries are seen more often than others. These include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Third-degree burns
- The development of emotional injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
How A Car Accident Attorney At Our Firm Can Help
The personal injury attorneys at our firm know how to deal with insurance companies and demand financial recovery for the damages you face. As your legal counsel, we offer hands-on service that takes the stress of your case off you. Some of our duties include:
- Taking care of administrative tasks like making phone calls and submitting documents
- Managing communication with the insurance company and at-fault parties
- Interviewing witnesses
- Investigating the cause of your traffic accident
- Determining the negligent and liable parties
- Finding supporting evidence and documentation
- Submitting your personal injury claim
- Negotiating the settlement you deserve
- Filing a car accident lawsuit, if a settlement cannot be reached
When you work with a personal injury lawyer at our law firm, you have backup that will stand up for your rights with no upfront costs. As your legal team, we will speak with the insurance adjusters and negotiate for a fair settlement on your behalf. If necessary, we will take the case to trial and fight for a court award. We offer all of this support on a no-win, no-fee basis, so there is no risk to hiring our firm.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
Finding The Liable Parties In Your Gaffney Car Accident
While investigating the cause of your car crash, our lawyers will search for the parties physically responsible for your accident and those financially responsible – these are not always the same. Just because a driver caused the accident doesn’t mean they are the one you’ll file a claim or lawsuit against.
For example, a faulty part in their car could have been responsible for the car wreck – in which case, the manufacturer, car dealership, or auto repair shop might be financially liable for your damages. Additionally, more than one party might be at fault for the accident and/or liable for your losses. Potentially liable parties include:
- The driver
- The driver’s employer if they were driving for work at the time
- A car manufacturer
- An auto body repair shop/mechanic
- The local government in charge of street conditions
- Private property or business owners, if the crash was due to their negligence in some fashion
We make it our priority to find the liable parties and hold them accountable for their negligence. If you were injured in a DUI crash, you might not be able to exchange information with the other driver. Our DUI accident lawyers can help you file a claim against the at-fault driver.
Dealing With The Insurance Company
We advise you to hire an accident attorney before interacting with the insurance company, but if you are unable to, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Do not admit, accept, or hint at blame. Admitting even partial fault could reduce your compensation or increase your insurance premiums. Instead, let the police and your lawyer investigate to determine what or who caused the collision.
- Stick to the facts and don’t overshare. Offering too much unsolicited information may give the insurance company a reason to reduce your compensation or deny your claim. To avoid saying something you shouldn’t, only give clear facts about what happened. Don’t give your opinion or speculate.
- Don’t say you’re fine. Some injuries, like soft tissue injuries or internal organ damage, may not be immediately apparent. You’ll want to get examined by a medical professional before declaring your health status. Also, don’t volunteer or otherwise give information about your injuries to the insurance company.
- Wait to give an official statement. You may want to speak with a car accident lawyer before giving the insurer any written or recorded statements. You can ask to postpone your statement until you are ready. When you hire our car accident attorney, we will prepare your statement for the insurance company.
- Insurance companies will often offer car accident victims a lowball settlement at first. While you may be interested in handling this ordeal as quickly as possible, taking this first offer is not always advisable.
Once you agree to settle, you sign away your rights to anything more at the outset of your claim. It’s critical to fight for an offer that accounts for all of your recoverable damages, or you will face out-of-pocket expenses. If a fair settlement isn’t possible, our attorneys can take your car accident case to court in Gaffney.
You Must File Your Car Accident Lawsuit On Time
Our car accident lawyers know their way around personal injury law. While most claims settle in negotiations, we will not hesitate to take your case to court. To protect your rights, our legal team will file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires. South Carolina gives three years for personal injury suits, per S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530.
Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, For A Free Consultation
The passionate Gaffney car accident lawyers at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, are prepared to take on your case if you’ve been injured in a car wreck in Gaffney or elsewhere in Cherokee County, South Carolina. Reach out to us today to discuss your legal options.
Call or text 828.286.3866 or complete a Case Evaluation form