At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC we help people in Rutherfordton or anywhere in Rutherford County who get injured due to the negligence of others. If you were injured in a car accident or some other type of accident, you can call us at (828) 286-3866 for a free consultation from a Rutherfordton personal injury lawyer. There is no obligation.
You do not have to pay up-front legal fees to receive our help. We work on personal injury claims on a contingent fee basis, which means that our fees come out of the settlement proceeds or award at the end. We do not get paid unless you win.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Your life can change in an instant when you get hurt in an accident. Through no fault of your own, you might have to face chronic pain and lifelong limitations. Your career path could change, and it might be challenging to enjoy life when you can no longer engage in activities you used to do.
We handle many kinds of personal injury cases, including:
- Car Accidents: Whether you were a driver, passenger, pedestrian, or on a bicycle, you might have a personal injury claim if you got hurt when a car ran into you.
- Truck Accidents: Truck collisions often cause more severe injuries or fatalities than car accidents because large trucks are heavier than the standard passenger vehicle. Truck drivers also have to comply with special regulations for their industry. We know how to look for violations of those laws that can support a claim for compensation.
- Motorcycle Accidents: People on motorcycles often sustain catastrophic injuries in accidents because these riders have nothing to protect their bodies when they hit the pavement, go flying through the air, or collide with a motor vehicle.
- Dog Bites: You might be surprised at how frequently children and adults get injured as a result of dog attacks and aggressive canines.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: If you got hurt when you slipped or tripped and fell on someone else’s property because of someone else’s negligence, you might be able to go after money damages for your losses. The property can be residential or commercial.
If your accident is not on this list, do not worry. There is not enough space here to cover all the numerous types of injury cases a Rutherfordton personal injury lawyer can handle. Just call us at (828) 286-3866 to find out how we can help you.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Rutherfordton, call 828.286.3866
Damages in Personal Injury Claims
We cannot say how much compensation you might recover for your injuries according to North Carolina laws because every personal injury case is unique. Two people sitting side-by-side in a car can have vastly different injuries in an accident. The amount of recovery you might collect will depend on the facts of your situation.
Here are some of the types of money damages we work hard to win for our clients:
- Medical Expenses: This category includes your expenses for things such as the ambulance, emergency room, hospital, doctors, imaging studies like X-rays or CAT scans, diagnostic testing, surgery, prescription drugs, chiropractic treatment, and physical therapy.
- Lost Wages: If you missed work without pay because of your wreck injuries, medical treatment, and recuperation time, we can add that to your claim. Salary, wages, self-employment, and other forms of income can fall within this area.
- Pain and Suffering: This type of damages encompasses the physical discomfort and emotional distress you experienced as a result of the accident and injury.
- Long-Term Care: Devastating injuries, such as spinal cord damage, can leave a person in need of daily assistance with medical treatments and personal care. The costs of these services can be astronomical.
- Diminished Earning Capacity: Sometimes a person has to cut back on hours at work or take a lower-paying job because of long-term consequences from an accident.
- Permanent Injury or Scarring: You deserve compensation for any long-term conditions or permanent scarring caused by your accident or injury.
- Other Intangible Losses: Some damages are a challenge to quantify in terms of dollars. Disfigurement and the loss of enjoyment of life are two examples of intangible damages. Sometimes you are also entitled to punitive damages when certain factors of the at-fault party’s conduct were very egregious. We can calculate the value of these aspects of your claim in light of your particular case, in order to maximize the recovery you obtain.
Depending on your situation, you might have additional losses that a Rutherfordton personal injury lawyer can pursue for you.
Rutherfordton Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Pitfalls to Avoid After Getting Hurt in an Accident
The law does not force you to work with a lawyer on your personal injury case, but it can be a wise choice to do so. Insurance companies can try to get you to accept less compensation than you deserve. Working with a personal injury lawyer from the beginning can help you understand any statutes of limitations (§ 1-47), as well as avoid these traps:
- Accepting far less money than you deserve. Many people try to negotiate with the insurance adjuster by themselves, only to find out later that they should have received much more compensation for their injuries.
- Settling before you finish your medical treatment. When you settle the claim, you have to sign away your right to receive any more money from that accident. If you find out after you resolve the case that you need additional treatment, such as surgery, and you have not recovered money to pay the expenses for such treatment, the insurer will not have to pay those expenses. You could end up with a stack of medical bills you cannot afford to pay.
- Posting on social media. When you have a personal injury claim pending, you should stay off of social media. The insurance company can use your photographs or comments against you to try to devalue or deny your claim.
- Giving a recorded statement. The adjuster will likely ask you to give a recorded statement. These statements are for the benefit of the insurer, not you. The adjuster can take your words out of context and twist them into something you did not intend. If the insurer asks for a recorded statement, tell them to speak to your lawyer.
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we help people who suffer severe injuries at the hands of others. Our clients focus on getting better while we handle their legal matters. You can call us today at (828) 286-3866 for a free consultation.