If a loved one was fatally injured at work or succumbed to a workplace-related illness or disease, you can recover compensation for your loss. Their demise must also have occurred within a specified timeline. You must also make certain notifications to their employer within an allotted time. You do not have to deal with these details on your own.
After your family experiences the unexpected loss of one of its members, the last thing you want is to endure a long and difficult fight for compensation. When our legal team represents you, we explain the circumstances under which workers’ compensation in North Carolina does cover a worksite death. We also help you collect and organize your paperwork and prepare and file your claim within the allotted time.
What Are Death Benefits?
In North Carolina, the Workers’ Compensation Act makes provisions for the surviving family members of ill or injured employees. According to G.S. § 97-38, the benefits you could receive include compensation or 66 2/3 percent of your loved one’s average weekly salary 500 weeks from the date of your loved one’s demise.
Our team will help you request this compensation along with compensation to cover the cost of your loved one’s reasonable funeral and burial expenses. We will clarify the required documentation and help you obtain, organize, and present it. In addition, our team will support you throughout the compensation process. This will help you focus on caring for your family.
For a legal consultation with a lawyer serving North Carolina and South Carolina, call 828.286.3866
What Is the Process for Requesting Compensation?
Your worksite death claim will require the decedent’s name, Social Security number, employer contact information, and the date their injury occurred. We will help you compile this information. Our client support team will also help you:
- Obtain an Opinion and Award or Order
- Submit all required forms on time
- Prove your loved one’s average weekly wage
- Obtain a copy of your loved one’s death certificate
- Request copies of your loved one’s medical records
The process can be complex, particularly when you are coping with your loss and helping family members cope at the same time. We are sorry for your loss and are here for you in this difficult time. We can help you provide the required proof of your familial relationship to the decedent, including marriage licenses and birth certificates as needed.
Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
How Common Are Workplace Fatalities?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there were 186 fatal occupation-related injuries in 2019. Of the reported fatal injuries in North Carolina:
- 30 resulted from violence involving people or animals
- 74 resulted from transportation incidents
- 3 resulted from fires and explosions
- 36 resulted from slip, trip, and fall accidents
- 13 resulted from exposure to harmful substances
- 29 resulted from contact with objects and equipment
Fatal injuries in the workplace affect entire families in multiple ways. When our team represents you, we work hard to help you get the financial compensation you are entitled to so that you and your family members can start rebuilding their lives.
Where Can I Learn More About Working with Your Law Firm?
You can read reviews and recommendations from clients we have helped on our reviews page and in our Google reviews. Previous clients say the following:
- “I was amazed by the efficiency of this lawyer. I was also in constant communication and was updated about my case by the lawyer or her assistant. I would highly recommend Gabrielle Valentine to anyone. Big thanks.” – Djaouida Andraws
- “I am forever grateful to Mark Morris and his staff…My results were amazing! He stayed in constant communication with me at all times. I could not be better pleased and relieved that I went with Mark Morris.” – Andrew McSwain
- “He met with us in person, was always easy to reach, answered any questions we had, and always kept us updated on the status of the case. We were totally satisfied with his service and would definitely recommend him to anyone and will be using him in the future.” – Janeth Bolanos
Our attorneys ensure that each one of our clients gets the support and encouragement they need to cope with the loss of their family member. We also help you fight for the compensation you are entitled to for your loss.
Get Immediate Help from an Attorney in North Carolina
If your family lost a loved one due to an accident at work, our workers’ compensation team can help you seek financial compensation. Find out how you can get workers’ compensation for a worksite death by contacting one of our team members today.
Call (828) 286-3866 to reach our Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, team today for a free consultation.
Call or text 828.286.3866 or complete a Case Evaluation form