Filing a paternity suit can help you protect yourself and your child. For example, it can allow you to:
- Prove your child’s paternal connection
- Set custody and visitation boundaries so that your child spends time with both parents
- Establish child support parameters that ensure both parents make fair financial contributions toward the child’s care
You do not have to interpret or navigate the law on your own—our team will handle the legal details for you. If you are the parent of a child born out of wedlock, our Rutherfordton paternity lawyer at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can help you understand North Carolina’s paternity laws and how they impact you and your child.
Table of Contents
- How North Carolina’s paternity laws affect your case
- Steps we take when building a paternity case
- Hiring our family law lawyer can benefit your paternity case
- Testimonials from previous family law clients
- How paternity can affect custody
- How paternity leads to child support
- Get help and support from our family law team today
In This Article
How North Carolina’s Paternity Laws Affect Your Case
When a child is born out of wedlock in North Carolina, the impact can be far-reaching and make parenting challenging. The state’s laws were designed to bring clarity and focus to an emotionally charged situation. North Carolina’s laws and guidelines can:
- Establish or set aside paternity
- Define custody of the child
- Establish financial support parameters
These factors of your child’s upbringing are critical, which makes our team’s familiarity with state and local laws an asset for you. It means we can help you meet your goals of establishing paternity and effectively co-parenting. We also help ensure each parent participates in the financial well-being of the child. Our understanding of the delicate nature of this area of family law means we handle your case with kindness, compassion, and respect.
Steps We Take When Building a Paternity Case
According to G.S. § 49-14, the court system can help you obtain “clear, cogent, and convincing evidence” of the paternity of your child via genetic testing. If the results of such tests prove the possibility of paternity is 97% or greater, you can then seek child support. To help you build your paternity case, our client support team:
- Requests supportive documents
- Establishes the father’s income
- Files required court documents
Although DNA testing has made establishing paternity fairly simple, the court process of obtaining tests and subsequent results and then filing a paternity case can still be complicated. When our firm is on your side, we ensure your case complies with any relevant filing deadlines and represent you in court proceedings.
For a legal consultation with a paternity lawyer serving Rutherfordton, call 828.286.3866
Hiring Our Family Law Lawyer Can Benefit Your Paternity Case
Establishing the paternity of your child or children means their father is entitled to take an active role in their lives. It also means he is responsible for their monetary support. Because verifying paternity can change the father’s life as well as the child’s, it can be an emotional, complex, and time-consuming matter.
When our team represents you, we bring an objective point of view to a difficult and demanding legal situation. We work hard to meet your end goals and resolve your case as seamlessly as possible.
Testimonials From Previous Family Law Clients
Family matters are a sensitive area of the law. In addition to legal representation, our team provides you with responsive support and care right from the start of your case. Previous family law clients have the following to say about working with our team:
- “I hired Mark Morris to handle my divorce case and was very pleased with the outcome. He grasped the complicated details of my financial information, and successfully negotiated an out-of-court settlement. He was always accessible to me, and I enjoyed working with him very much.” — William Saer
- “I am blessed beyond measure to have had Mark Morris as my attorney. I was able to get primary custody of my daughter, he stayed on top of my case and kept in contact with me. I couldn’t imagine another attorney trying my case. I will be forever grateful.” — Hannah Orvin
Our family law attorney will explain the law at each phase of your case and make sure you are regularly informed of its progress. We also handle forms, filings, and court appearances. When we represent you, we do so with your future and the future of your son or daughter in mind.
Rutherfordton Paternity Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
How Paternity Can Affect Custody
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we believe every child deserves the best start in life, which typically means having healthy relationships with both parents. If you are ready to prove the paternity of your child or seek custody or child support in Rutherfordton, our paternity lawyer near you can help.
Per North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) guidelines, proving paternity is the only avenue that will allow you to seek court-ordered support of a child born outside of marriage. However, you do not have to establish paternity and navigate the family law system in court on your own. We can help you explore your legal options and understand how the law can further assist you in fighting for custody and support.
How Paternity Leads to Child Support
The full financial responsibility of raising your child should not fall solely on your shoulders. NCDHHS guidelines mandate knowing the location of the child’s father and proving their parentage before setting a child support order. They further recommend compiling the following to establish his location:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Last known address
- Social Security number
- Employment information
- Evidence of vehicle registration
On your own, this information can be challenging to obtain. Our firm can help you investigate and locate as many of these details as possible. We can also help you organize this information and present it in a way that best supports your paternity case. We work hard on your behalf so that you can focus on your child’s health and happiness.
Get Help and Support From Our Family Law Team Today
Your child is entitled to financial support from both parents. Find out how our paternity lawyer can help you review the legal process, prove your child’s paternity, and prepare a strong case for child support.
You can contact one of our Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, team members at our Rutherfordton office on North Washington Street by calling (828) 286-3866 today.