General civil litigation centers around legal disputes between two parties, such as breach of contract, personal injury, and tort actions.
If you would like assistance with your civil case, a Rutherfordton civil litigation lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, may be able to work on your case. One of our Rutherfordton personal injury lawyer team members can go over your case in a free consultation and explain your legal options.
Understanding the Stages of Civil Litigation
Civil cases can occur on local, state, and federal levels. While there can be variations in the litigation process depending on the filed complaint, many cases follow the same process:
- Filing the complaint: You file a legal complaint with the appropriate court—be it a local, state, or federal court—then serve the opposing party a notice of this complaint. This notice describes the injuries or damages you suffered and why the other party should be held liable.
- Preparing the case: A lawyer from our team can begin investigating your case to discover and retrieve evidence that supports your claim. This may involve getting copies of official documents, interviewing witnesses, and gathering evidence that captured the alleged actions (e.g., video footage).
- Negotiating a settlement: Your lawyer may meet with the opposing party’s insurer or legal attorney to negotiate a settlement. Many civil cases settle out of court to avoid dealing with court fees, scheduling a hearing, and going to trial. However, with negotiations, you must remain aware of the statute of limitations related to your case if you decide to file a lawsuit later.
- Going to trial: If a settlement cannot be negotiated for you, we can file a lawsuit and go to court. Here your lawyer will advocate for your interests in front of a judge and jury.
When you become a client at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we guide you through each of these stages to help you build your case against the opposing party.
Types of Civil Cases We Handle in North Carolina
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, our team of litigation attorneys handle the following types of cases in Rutherfordton, North Carolina:
If someone does not perform what you believe they agreed to complete in your contract with them, then they may have breached the contract. You may have legal grounds to pursue a business dispute action against them in court to either require them to perform as they have agreed or pay you monetary damages for their breach.
A business law lawyer from our team can help you settle a breach of contract as well as other types of business disputes, such as:
- Contractual drafting and negotiation
- Business formation and consulting
If you or a loved one was seriously injured or suffered severe property damage in an accident caused by another party, you may be entitled to pursue compensation through a personal injury action. With this type of case, you may be able to recover the following types of damages:
- Medical care expenses
- Property damage costs, such as for repairs or total replacement
- Current and future loss of income
- Reduced earning potential
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
There are other damages not listed here that you may qualify to claim. Our team can help you identify the liable party or parties and then organize materials to help you file a claim with their insurance or a lawsuit through the appropriate court system.
Keep in mind that if you do file a personal injury lawsuit, you must do so within the deadline set by G.S. § 1-52, which is generally three years from the date of injury.
If you are facing bankruptcy or a potential foreclosure on your Rutherfordton home, our bankruptcy lawyers may be able to help you reorganize your finances so that you can retain some or all of your assets.
Our firm handles the following types of bankruptcy cases:
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 11
- Chapter 12
- Chapter 13
Depending on the type of bankruptcy chapter you file, you may be able to discharge certain debts and protect your assets from creditors. Our civil litigation attorney can file motions to assist you in these areas and explain what financial routes are appropriate.
Construction law is a sub-area of business law specific to individuals and companies that work in the labor industry. If you run a construction company or contract with one, you may hire a construction law lawyer from our team to represent you when you run into a legal dispute.
Our attorneys help contractors, subcontractors, and homeowners resolve construction-related issues, such as:
- Contract reviews
- Payment disputes
- Design and project disputes
- Construction proposals
- Liability claims
- Mechanic liens
- Work-related accidents
If you are divorcing your spouse or facing another family-related dispute, a family law lawyer from our team can advocate for your interests. Types of family law cases we handle involve the following:
- Separation agreements
- Child custody
- Child support
- Property distribution
- Post-separation support and alimony
We aim to help you reach an agreement with the other party that meets your family’s needs.
If your loved one passed away due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to file a wrongful death action to pursue compensation. Having a lawyer while you grieve may relieve you of the burden that comes with preparing a case.
With this type of action, you may be able to recover certain damages, such as:
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of society
Other Types of Legal Cases We Handle
Other types of cases that our litigation lawyers handle include:
- Wills and estate planning
- Social Security Disability
- Workers’ compensation
- Criminal defense
We pride ourselves in offering various legal services to our clients. Whatever legal issue you face, we have a lawyer who can serve you and fight for your interests.
Learn how a Civil Litigation Attorney in Rutherfordton Can Help You Today
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, our team of attorneys practice in various areas of litigation in North Carolina, so we are prepared to handle all sorts of legal matters for you. Our main office is in Rutherfordton, so we can meet you there or accommodate you by phone.
Call (828) 286-3866 to receive a free consultation with one of our team members today.