If you or a loved one were injured by another party’s negligent or reckless behavior, a car accident lawyer from our team would like to work on your behalf. They can seek to win a fair monetary settlement from the liable party for your pain, suffering, and medical costs.
We help clients in Spartanburg, South Carolina and surrounding areas deal with the negligent party and negotiate with their insurance company. If the responsible party refuses to come to a fair settlement and the case goes to trial, we can stand by your side throughout the process.
In This Article
Fighting for Compensation After a Car Accident
The team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC understands how hard it can be to recover physically and mentally following a car accident. Let us help by shouldering your legal burden for you. We would like to help by performing any or all of the following tasks so that you do not have to.
- Explaining your rights and options: If you are unfamiliar with the process for filing a lawsuit, we would be happy to meet with you and go over all relevant laws, legal options, and more.
- Investigating the accident: We can study the facts to determine exactly what happened and which party or parties should be held responsible. Our review can also determine how much money your case may be worth.
- Collecting evidence: Important sources of evidence include but are not limited to police reports, medical records, surveillance footage, and witness testimony.
- Filing paperwork: Forms are a small yet crucial piece of any lawsuit. We know just which forms to fill out, how to complete them, who to send them to, and what deadlines to meet to keep your suit running smoothly.
- Fighting hard for a settlement: Sometimes, insurers do not offer accident victims fair compensation right away. We can meet with them and negotiate aggressively for fair compensation.
- Fighting in court: If it is not possible to win a settlement, we can take the case to court. You would not have to argue your own case – we can fight hard for you.
After losing money in a car accident, you may be reluctant to spend money on legal representation. Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC understands this and strives to make our services more affordable in the following ways.
- We will review your case for free.
- We work on a contingency fee basis, so you do not need to pay any attorney’s fees up front to hire us.
- Our payment comes from the final settlement in the case. This means our attorney’s fees do not come out of your pocket.
Our ultimate goal is to make life easier for our clients and to make Spartanburg, South Carolina a safer place for all drivers. We do this by offering affordable, professional legal assistance to car accident victims and their survivors.
Damages Are Available for Car Wreck Victims
After a car wreck in Spartanburg, you could be entitled to monetary damages. However, you have a limited time to pursue those damages: according to S.C. Ann § 15-3-530, accident victims have only three years to take legal action against the party or parties who caused their personal injury or a loved one’s wrongful death. If you contact a lawyer from our firm within that deadline, we can help you seek damages like the following.
Economic damages can compensate you for the money you lost or had to spend in the aftermath of the car accident. Common examples include:
- Lost wages and other benefits: You could be reimbursed for any money you should have earned at work but could not because of the injuries.
- Lost employment: This could mean you lost your job due to the accident, or you are no longer able to work in your chosen field due to permanent, disabling injuries.
- Medical bills: If you sought any type of professional help for physical or psychological injuries, you could qualify for compensation.
Non-economic damages serve as direct compensation for car accident injuries themselves. You could recover compensation for your:
- Pain and suffering: The physical and emotional distress caused by the injuries has negatively affected your well-being.
- Reduced quality of life: It is now harder or impossible for you to perform certain tasks, whether they be everyday chores (e.g., cooking) or enjoyable hobbies (e.g., sports).
- Scarring or disfigurement: Some injuries leave behind marks that can permanently affect your appearance or your ability to use the injured area.
In wrongful death cases, you may also qualify for damages such as:
- End-of-life expenses: This may include any expenses you paid out of pocket to ensure that your loved one was properly laid to rest.
- Lost financial support: Any relative who was financially dependent on the deceased’s income has the right to calculate what the deceased would have earned had they survived and seek that amount in damages.
- Lost companionship: Your loved one was an irreplaceable, invaluable member of the family. Mourning their loss and living without their presence is a terrible burden.
Car Accident Causes and Consequences
According to Page 2 of a report compiled by the South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS), more than 58,000 people suffered an injury in a car crash in 2019; more than 1,000 people were killed. These accidents caused their victims $4.77 billion in economic losses.
Why do such accidents happen, and what can you do about it? Some of the most common car accident causes, per Page 7 of the SCDPS report, are examples of negligent or reckless driver behavior. They include:
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Ignoring traffic signs or signals
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Distracted driving (e.g., using a cell phone while driving)
Such behaviors are preventable, and injuries stemming from them should not have happened. The team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC would like to ensure that you do not pay for your injuries any more than you already have by suing for fair compensation on your behalf.
Potential Injuries in a Car Accident
Many factors contribute to the types of injuries someone could suffer in a car crash. For example, when one vehicle is significantly larger or traveling much faster than the other, those inside the smaller and slower vehicle could suffer extremely serious injuries.
Some of the injuries for which you could receive compensation after a car accident include:
- Head injuries, e.g., concussions, traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries, e.g., whiplash
- Back injuries, e.g., herniated discs, paralysis
- Injuries to limbs, e.g., broken bones, torn ligaments, amputation
- Internal injuries, e.g., internal organ damage, internal bleeding
- Skin injuries, e.g., cuts, bruises, burns
- Mental injuries, e.g., mental illness, intellectual disability
In some cases, it is not immediately clear how the crash happened and who was at fault. Other times, the facts in the case are easier to decipher. No matter how straightforward or how complicated your case is, the team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC would like to help, starting with a free case review.
We Fight Hard to Defend Our Clients’ Rights
You do not have to deal with the insurance company or the liable party alone. Instead, when you hire Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, you hire a dedicated team that can fight hard on your behalf, working to help you receive a fair settlement. A car accident lawyer from our team is ready to begin working on your Spartanburg case. Contact us at (864) 582-1310 for a free case review as soon as possible.