If you or a loved one was injured by another party’s negligent or reckless behavior, a car accident lawyer from our team would like to work on your behalf. We can seek to win a fair monetary settlement from the liable party for your pain, suffering, and medical costs.
We help clients in Spartanburg, South Carolina and surrounding areas deal with negligent parties and negotiate with insurance companies. If the responsible party refuses to come to a fair settlement and the case goes to trial, we can stand by your side throughout the process.
In This Article
Fighting for Compensation After a Car Accident
The team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC understands how hard it can be to recover physically and mentally following a car accident. Let us help by shouldering your legal burden for you. We want to help by performing any or all of the following tasks so you do not have to do so.
- Explaining your rights and options: If you are unfamiliar with the process for filing a lawsuit, we would be happy to meet with you and go over all relevant laws, legal options, and more.
- Investigating the accident: We can study the facts to determine exactly what happened and which party or parties should be held responsible. Our review can also determine how much money your case may be worth.
- Collecting evidence: Important sources of evidence include but are not limited to police reports, medical records, surveillance footage, and witness testimony.
- Filing paperwork: Forms are a small yet crucial piece of any lawsuit. We know just which forms to fill out, how to complete them, who to send them to, and what deadlines to meet to keep your case running smoothly.
- Fighting hard for a settlement: Sometimes, insurers do not offer accident victims fair compensation right away. We can meet with them and negotiate aggressively for fair compensation.
- Fighting in court: If it is impossible to win a settlement, we can possibly take your case to court. You would not have to argue your case – we can fight hard for you.
After losing money in a car accident, you may be reluctant to spend money on legal representation. At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we understand this and strive to make our services more affordable in the following ways.
- We will review your wreck case for free.
- We work on a contingency-fee basis, so you do not need to pay any attorney’s fees upfront to hire us.
- Our payment comes from the final settlement in the case. This means our attorney’s fees do not come out of your pocket.
Our ultimate goal is to make life easier for our clients and to make Spartanburg, South Carolina a safer place for all drivers. We do this by offering affordable, professional legal assistance to car accident victims and their families.
For a legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Spartanburg, call 828.286.3866
Damages Are Available for Car Wreck Victims
After a car wreck in Spartanburg, you could be entitled to monetary damages. However, you have a limited time to pursue those damages. According to S.C. Ann § 15-3-530, accident victims typically have only three years to take legal action against the party or parties who caused their personal injury or a loved one’s wrongful death. If you contact a lawyer from our firm within that deadline, we can help you seek damages.
Economic damages can compensate you for the money you lost or had to spend in the aftermath of the car accident. Common examples include:
- Lost wages and other benefits: You could be reimbursed for any money you should have earned at work but could not because you had to take time off to recover from your injuries.
- Lost employment: This could mean you lost your job due to the accident, or you can no longer work in your chosen field due to permanent, disabling injuries.
- Medical bills: If you sought any professional help for physical or psychological injuries, you could qualify for compensation.
- Repair bills: If your car was damaged or totaled in the wreck, you can ask for reimbursement for the cost of fixing or replacing the vehicle.
Non-economic damages serve as direct compensation for car accident injuries. You could recover compensation for your:
- Pain and suffering: The physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries has negatively affected your well-being.
- Reduced quality of life: It is now harder or impossible for you to perform certain tasks, whether they be everyday chores (e.g., cooking and cleaning) or enjoyable hobbies (e.g., sports).
- Scarring or disfigurement: Some injuries leave marks that can permanently affect your appearance or your ability to use the injured area.
- Disability: This broad term can refer to all manner of temporary or permanent, physical or intellectual, and partial or total injuries.
Wrongful Death Cases May Entitle You to Additional Damages
In wrongful death cases, you may also qualify for damages such as:
- End-of-life expenses: This may include any expenses you paid out of pocket to ensure that your loved one was properly laid to rest.
- Lost financial support: Any relative who was financially dependent on the deceased’s income has the right to calculate what the deceased would have earned had they survived and seek that amount in damages.
- Lost companionship: Your loved one was an irreplaceable, invaluable member of your family. Mourning their loss and living without their presence is a terrible burden.
If you lost a loved one in a preventable car wreck, we are sorry for your loss. The entire team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC wants to do everything possible to help you recover by holding the liable party accountable for their negligence.
Spartanburg Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Car Accident Causes and Consequences
According to Page 2 of a report compiled by the South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS), more than 58,000 people suffered an injury in a car crash in 2019, and more than 1,000 people were killed. These accidents caused their victims $4.77 billion in economic losses.
Why do such accidents happen, and what can you do about it? Some of the most common car accident causes, per Page 7 of the SCDPS report, are examples of negligent or reckless driver behavior. They include:
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Ignoring traffic signs or signals
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Distracted driving (e.g., using a cell phone while driving)
Such behaviors are preventable, and injuries stemming from them should not happen. The team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC would like to ensure that you do not pay for your injuries any more than you already have by suing for fair compensation on your behalf.
Potential Injuries in a Car Accident
Many factors contribute to the injuries someone could suffer in a car crash. For example, when one vehicle is significantly larger or traveling much faster than the other, those inside the smaller and slower vehicle could suffer extremely serious injuries.
Some of the injuries for which you could receive compensation after a car accident include:
- Head injuries, e.g., concussions, traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries, e.g., whiplash
- Back injuries, e.g., herniated discs, paralysis
- Injuries to limbs, e.g., broken bones, torn ligaments, amputation
- Internal injuries, e.g., internal organ damage, internal bleeding
- Skin injuries, e.g., cuts, bruises, burns
- Mental injuries, e.g., mental illness, intellectual disability
In some cases, it is not immediately clear how the crash happened and who was at fault. Other times, the facts in the case are easier to decipher. No matter how straightforward or complicated your case is, the team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC would like to help, starting with a free case review.
How to Prove Your Injuries Really Happened
The insurance company’s job is to reduce its losses by paying car wreck victims as little as possible. An insurance adjuster may attempt to undermine your case in the following ways:
- They may claim that you caused or worsened your injuries (e.g., by not wearing your seatbelt at the time of the wreck).
- They may ask you for a recorded statement regarding the wreck. They may then compare this recording to all of your other actions and statements and, if there is even a slight discrepancy, claim that you are lying.
- They may state that your injuries resulted from something other than the wreck, or that their client was not responsible for the wreck.
- They may acknowledge that their client is liable for your injuries but insist that those injuries are not as bad as you say, or that some of the expenses for which you are seeking compensation are not necessary or relevant.
This is one more reason why it may be a good idea to seek legal help as soon as possible after a car wreck. Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC can work to prove your case to the insurance company’s satisfaction. We can also communicate with them on your behalf, so they never get a chance to use your own words against you.
Evidence to Prove a Car Wreck Case
A big part of our job is to investigate each client’s accident and build a strong enough case to get them appropriate compensation. Examples of evidence we have found useful in the past include the following.
- Medical records: These documents can help us link your injuries to the car wreck and establish that they are exactly as serious and costly as you have claimed.
- Police reports: Under S.C. Ann § 56-5-1260, any car wreck that results in injury or death must be reported to the police immediately. We can use the resulting police report to confirm your version of what happened before, during, and after the wreck.
- Video or photos: Did you take photos of the scene, or did a surveillance camera capture the event? Any form of audiovisual proof could be invaluable.
- Statements from experts: An “expert” in this case may be a medical professional, an economist, an accident reconstruction specialist, or anyone else qualified to testify about any aspect of your case.
Armed with evidence from these and other sources, our team will aim to compile a case strong enough that the liable party’s insurance company has no choice but to offer you a fair settlement.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
We Fight Hard to Defend Our Clients’ Rights
You do not have to deal with the insurance company or the liable party alone. Instead, when you hire Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, you hire a dedicated team that can fight hard on your behalf, working to help you receive a fair settlement. A car accident lawyer from our team is ready to begin working on your Spartanburg case. Contact us at (864) 582-1310 for a free case review as soon as possible.