If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident, you might be wondering if you need an attorney for a car accident claim or lawsuit you want to file. You are not alone in this thought. Many car accident victims wonder if it is necessary to hire a lawyer after getting into an accident and may be worried about being able to afford one.
While you may be able to handle a property damage claim on your own, you may need legal assistance especially if you suffered injuries and it is very advisable for you to consult with a lawyer to assess your claim, especially if your claim involves more complex damages.
In This Article
Here Are Some Signs that You Might Need Help from a Lawyer
The following signs might indicate that you might want to get a lawyer to help you with your claim:
- You suffered an injury: In addition to incurring medical expenses, an injury may impact your ability to work, cause you pain, and affect your life and relationships. A personal injury lawyer can include this information in your damages demand.
- You are not able to return to work: A personal injury lawyer can work with expert witnesses to help determine the value of your lost earning capacity.
- The insurance company has denied your claim: The insurance company may wrongfully deny your claim because it does not think you will move to protect your rights. Your lawyer can help you take appropriate next steps.
- You think the insurance company is treating you unfairly: The insurance company is out to make a profit, not fairly resolve your claim. An attorney can keep your legal interests in mind during negotiations or trial and can help you fight for compensation.
- You are being blamed for the accident: This may cause your claim to be denied or minimized.
For a legal consultation, call 828.286.3866
Personal Injury Lawyers Can Offer a Variety of Legal Services
Personal injury lawyers perform many important tasks to help accident victims pursue compensation for their injuries. These tasks include:
- Providing legal guidance: The moments following a car accident can be confusing. If you have any questions, a lawyer or their legal team may offer guidance. They can guide you throughout the claims process and offer you legal advice that is targeted to your particular situation.
- Investigating your accident: To receive compensation for your damages, you must be able to prove the other party was at fault. Your attorney may use their resources to investigate your accident and determine the factors that contributed to it.
- Gathering evidence: Your personal injury lawyer may be able to gather evidence to help you determine who should be held liable for your accident and damages. They may gather evidence, such as medical records, accident reports, eyewitness statements, photos or videos of the accident scene, property damage reports, and employment records.
- Communicating with the insurance company: A personal injury lawyer may handle all communications with the insurance company on your behalf so that you can focus on your other priorities. This can also help protect your claim so that you do not say anything that may be detrimental to your claim.
- Negotiating a settlement: Before entering negotiations, your lawyer may calculate your losses to determine the value of your case. A lawyer can represent you during the negotiation stage and keep your legal interests heard, knowing what demands and needs you have.
- Representing you in court: If a fair settlement is not offered, a personal injury lawyer may take your case to court and continue your pursuit of compensation there.
Other Reasons to Consider Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
Finally, when considering if you need an attorney for a car accident, you should consider other reasons why it may help to hire a personal injury lawyer. These reasons might include:
- You can save time: You may not have time to balance handling your claim, talking to insurance companies, gathering evidence, and so on, while also tending to your other routine responsibilities.
- You can work with someone who knows personal injury law: Personal injury lawyers are familiar with the relevant laws that may apply to your claim.
- Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis: Personal injury lawyers generally work on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not owe any attorney’s fees unless you recover compensation. Lawyers who work on a contingency fee basis usually take their percentage out of the proceeds they win for their clients.
- Insurance companies may take your claim more seriously: Insurance companies are used to handling claims. Insurance representatives may try to minimize a claim’s potential value by taking advantage of their legal position against an unrepresented client. Having a lawyer may help you level the playing field.
Contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC for Help with Your Claim
If you were injured in a car accident, a personal injury lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC wants to help you. Our team can handle your legal claim while you focus on your recovery. Contact us at (828) 286-3866 for more information on how we can guide you through the personal injury claims process.