Estate planning is an understandably emotional and difficult subject to undertake. However, it is a necessary process to ensure your family is taken care of in the event of your incapacitation or death.
Trying to sort out all your assets and needs on your own is a huge task. At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, our Spindale estate planning lawyer will help you solidify your family’s future.
The Best Time to Start Planning Your Estate Is Now
We encourage all potential clients to begin estate planning as soon as they are able. Seeking the counsel of Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC will get you on track to securing your family’s future.
While many people assume that estate planning is reserved for older individuals, the process can begin at the age of 18 for those of sound mind, according to G.S. § 31-1. Waiting can cause problems, such as intestacy, which could ultimately leave your family with unnecessary hardship.
What Is Intestacy?
Intestacy is the condition of your estate if you die or become incapacitated without a legally recognized will. In North Carolina, the distribution of your estate is determined by the N.C. Intestate Succession Act if you die without a valid will. How succession works is determined by what surviving family members you have. For instance:
- Assets will pass to your parents or the next relative in the line of succession if you are unmarried and have no children.
- Assets pass to your spouse if you are married without children.
- Assets are distributed between your spouse and children if you are married with children.
How assets are divided among your spouse and children depends on the value of your assets and the number of children you have. In the event of your death or incapacitation, your debts and taxes are still valid in the eyes of the state.
A state-appointed administrator will pay your debts and taxes by selling your property before your loved ones are granted anything. Your loved ones will not be granted a choice on what is sold and what is kept. These difficult moments can be avoided by having a plan for your estate legally recognized.
Helping You With the Tough Decisions
Estate planning is an act that will allow you to avoid any unnecessary hardship for your family. Coming up with a plan can feel stressful, but the Spindale estate planning lawyer of Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC is ready to help make the process an easy one for you.
We will guide you from beginning to end. Some of the items we will cover are:
- Determining property and assets to include
- How to avoid any difficulties related to debts and taxes
- Designating power of attorney
- Designating the executor of the will
- Distributing assets per your wishes
- Health care and treatment options should you become incapacitated
While many of these decisions are difficult to make, they are all integral to the process and ensuring that your loved ones receive everything they are entitled to. We will help you understand the importance of power of attorney and the executor of your will and explain the legal responsibilities that come with each.
None of these decisions should be rushed. It is important to think through all your options and ensure you are making the best decision for you. When you are ready, we will make sure that all your documentation is filed properly and adheres to North Carolina law.
Why Choose Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC
You and your family are our top priority. We aim to surpass your expectations as we prepare your loved one’s futures and give you peace of mind.
Below, see what past satisfied clients are saying about their experiences working with us.
- “We have had the…pleasure to work with Mrs. Davies twice in the last two years. She is the utmost professional & compassionate attorney we have dealt with after coming from a large city. Your parents wills & wishes are very delicate issues. She was very compassionate & understanding. I would not hesitate to hire her again or refer her to others.” – Kay
- “I contacted Hannah Davies to help my wife and I to draft both a medical and durable Power of Attorney. The documents we requested were time sensitive and Mrs. Davies went above and beyond to help us get them immediately. She not only answered any questions or concerns that we had, but explained everything clearly which facilitated the simplicity of the entire process. I have a extremely busy work schedule, but Mrs. Davies made sure that we could get the appointment we needed and helped get all paperwork done and submitted properly. She even contacted us after that to ensure we had everything we needed!! If you want a attorney who is not only extremely friendly, compassionate, and understanding but professional, dedicated, and in my honest opinion one of the best attorneys you will ever meet; then call Mrs. Davies today and she will not only help but solve whatever legal issues you have but will do it in a timely and professional manner thus ensuring a positive, swift, and rewarding outcome for whatever your specific situation may require! I will definitely recommend Mrs. Davies to all my friends and family for all their legal needs.” – Joshua
Contact Us and Start Planning Your Estate With Our Spindale Lawyer Today
Estate planning allows you to have peace of mind that your wishes will be carried out if you are incapacitated or die. It also puts your family’s minds at ease, as they knowingly act according to your wishes. This certainty is what makes estate planning such an integral process for everyone.
It’s never too early to plan for the future. Contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, and get started with our estate planning lawyer, Hannah Davies, in Rutherford County today.