Intoxicated drivers can cause car accidents that lead to severe injuries, costly medical expenses, and income loss. South Carolina law allows victims to pursue the at-fault driver and their insurer for monetary damages if they can prove the party’s actions and intoxication caused or led to their accidents.
If you were in a collision with an at-fault driver under the influence of alcohol or another substance, our Spartanburg DWI accident lawyer can help you seek financial compensation for your injuries and related losses. Our team could help you recoup your damages, including property damage or loss and physical or emotional pain and suffering. Our free consultation can help you consider your next steps.
In This Article
- We Can Help You Prove Your Right to Compensation
- How Our Firm Can Help You
- Do Not Run Out of Time to Pursue Recoverable Damages
- We Fight to Prove Your Right to Financial Recovery After a DWI Accident
- We Fight Hard for Clients Injured in DWI Accidents
- Get Our Personal Injury Team in Spartanburg, S.C., on Your Side
We Can Help You Prove Your Right to Compensation
If another driver consumed alcohol before getting behind the wheel and then caused a wreck, they bear financial responsibility for its consequences. When you request compensation, the at-fault driver could be compelled to pay your collision-related expenses if you can prove their negligence.
Our DWI accident team can help you obtain copies of your South Carolina car accident report. It should tell us the following helpful information:
- The date, time, and location of the accident
- Factors that contributed to the collision
- The accident’s sequence of events
- Blood alcohol content test results
When our team conducts an investigation and compiles this evidence on your behalf, we use it to assess the financial value of your injuries. The evidence can also help us understand the costs of the monetary damages that stem from your injuries.
Recoverable Economic Damages Following a DWI-Related Accident
A car wreck can entitle you to collect two different types of financial compensation – economic and non-economic. In Spartanburg, you can request the following economic recoverable damages, per S.C. Ann § 15-32-210:
- Known and anticipated medical bills
- Known and anticipated income loss
- Vehicle towing and repair expenses
- Costs of going to and from medical treatment
We could also help you recoup the costs of any assistive medical devices your medical providers prescribe. These items include crutches, canes, casts, foam collars, wheelchairs, and more. You can also recover the costs of any prescribed and over-the-counter medications. When our team handles your case, we work hard to ensure an accurate assessment of these damages.
You Could Recover These Non-Economic Damages as Well
The driver who caused your wreck can also be held financially accountable for the intangible expenses that stem from your injuries. These recoverable losses, called non-economic damages, can include:
- Forced changes to your way of life
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Future loss of wages or other income
- Lasting physical disabilities or disfigurement
Our case review team can help you assign a financial value to these expenses since you will not have accompanying bills, receipts, or other documentation to guide you toward an accurate assessment. We use your written prognosis and the degree and severity of your injuries to determine their value.
For a legal consultation with a dui accidents lawyer serving Spartanburg, call 828.286.3866
How Our Firm Can Help You
We understand how difficult it can be to recover from a DWI accident and that the last thing you want to be thinking about right now is the legal process. Instead of trying to handle it all on your own, you can count on us to:
In addition to collecting various forms of documentary evidence, a lawsuit may require you to:
- Notify the liable party and their representatives about the suit
- Notify the appropriate court that you are taking legal action
- Submit evidence to the appropriate court, if your case goes to trial
Something simple – like filling out the wrong form or missing a deadline – could endanger your case’s future. You can reduce the chances of this happening and keep your case running smoothly by hiring one of our DWI accident attorneys to manage the case for you.
Deal with Insurers
The liable party’s insurance company may be reluctant to pay a fair settlement, no matter how much you deserve the money. They may even resort to legal but deceitful tactics to undermine your case.
Our team would be happy to serve as a middleman during all dealings with the insurance company or anyone else representing the liable party. For example, we can:
- Respond to all inquiries or offers they make – and if they try to speak with you directly, you can tell them to talk to us
- Negotiate hard for a settlement that meets all of your needs
- Meet with them in person as many times as may be necessary to show them our evidence, refute their arguments, and get the money you are entitled to recover
Go to Court
While we successfully settle many cases out of court, there are some instances where the insurance company refuses to offer a satisfactory settlement. If that happens to you, we can discuss the possibility of taking your case to trial.
Trials can be very lengthy and strenuous if you do not have legal representation to guide you through the process. We are not afraid of extra work and, if necessary, would be happy to:
- Schedule court dates
- Participate in jury selection and make sure that all unsuitable candidates are weeded out
- Prepare witnesses to testify on the stand or provide written statements that we can enter into the record
- Question our witnesses
- Cross-examine and undermine the credibility of the defendant’s witnesses
- Make opening and closing remarks that summarize why you deserve a jury award
It is understandable if you are reluctant to spend extra money after losing so much in a DWI accident. This is why Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC makes our services more affordable by:
- Offering free consultations to any accident victim who wants more information about their rights
- Charging nothing up front – and only charging attorney’s fees if you win your case
- Taking a percentage of your compensation as our attorney’s fees rather than making you pay out of pocket
It is our goal to lighten your burdens, not add to them, during this difficult time.
Spartanburg DUI Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Do Not Run Out of Time to Pursue Recoverable Damages
While you are entitled to recover your financial damages from the at-fault driver, the time you have to do so is limited. Since your wreck happened in Spartanburg, the relevant statute of limitations is governed by South Carolina’s state law. Accordingly, S.C. Ann § 15-3-530 generally allows you to file a personal injury lawsuit for up to three years from the date of the accident.
There Is a Filing Deadline for Wrongful Death Actions in S.C.
If someone you love was fatally injured in the wreck, S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530 generally allows you to file a wrongful death lawsuit for up to three years from the date of their demise. Doing so can help you recover the costs of their funeral and burial expenses. Our team takes care of these details for you and – with enough notice – ensures compliance with the statute of limitations.
We Fight to Prove Your Right to Financial Recovery After a DWI Accident
Our DWI accident lawyers work hard to build your Spartanburg evidence file. This information tells our South Carolina car wreck team and the at-fault driver’s team the cause of your collision. It helps establish negligence and can also steer settlement negotiations in your favor. Examples of evidence we may gather on your behalf includes:
- The car accident report to establish the wreck’s cause and date
- Medical records to prove the degree of your injuries
- Medical bills to prove the cost of past and future treatments
- Witness statements to support your version of events
- Photos and videos that capture details of the collision
Our Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC team in Spartanburg treats every injured client we represent with kindness and compassion. We also strive to do most of the work for you so that you can focus on getting better. We fight for a favorable financial settlement so that you can avoid the time and expense of a prolonged trial.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
We Fight Hard for Clients Injured in DWI Accidents
The clients we represent who were injured because of another person’s negligence need more than cookie-cutter legal assistance. They need individualized support throughout the compensation process. Our previous civil lawsuit clients say:
- “He was recommended very highly by a mutual friend and even though he was very busy at the time because of another case he was involved in, he graciously took on my case… He won the case for me, and… I recommend him highly to anyone. You will be very pleased.” – Jayne
- “I enlisted Mrs. Hannah Davies to handle my problem [and] in two weeks I had my money back… In the future, if I have [a] problem, Mrs. Davies will be my first call.” – Gerald
When you put our team to work for you, you get the same level of personalized attention we provided for each of these clients. We also make sure you feel respected and appreciated while you fight for the compensation you are entitled to due to negligence.
Get Our Personal Injury Team in Spartanburg, S.C., on Your Side
If you or someone you love was injured in a collision with an intoxicated driver, our DWI accident lawyer can help you recover financial compensation from the at-fault driver.
Find out how we can help when you contact one of our Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC team members in our Spartanburg office at (864) 582-1310 today.