Unfortunately, bicycles are frequently involved in accidents that result in injury and death. When a bicyclist tangles with an automobile, the cyclist is almost always the biggest loser. A reckless or careless driver can ruin your day and cause life-altering injuries, no matter how conscientious a cyclist is.
A Shelby bicycle accident lawyer can assist you in seeking compensation for your injuries or loss. The bicycle accident team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC knows the law. They can fight to get you appropriate compensation.
In This Article
- Bicyclists’ Laws in North Carolina
- Damages You Can Receive After a Bicycle Accident
- Recoverable Economic Damages
- We Will Fight for Non-Economic Damages for You
- Determining How Much Your Case is Worth
- Finding the Right Law Firm to Fight for You
- You Have a Filing Deadline
- Bicycle Accident Statistics Aren’t Pretty
- Use Your Free Consultation to Discuss Your Claim
Bicyclists’ Laws in North Carolina
In 1974, North Carolina created the first bike program in the nation. The Bicycle and Bikeway Act of 1974 paved the way for accessibility changes and increased safety, facilities, and road improvements that favored bicyclists. Laws that cyclists must follow when sharing the road with motor vehicles include:
- Bicycle riders must obey all the same traffic laws as vehicle operators.
- Bicyclists have the same responsibilities for road safety as drivers.
- Bikes must remain as far to the right as possible and travel with traffic flow.
- Bike riders must use proper hand signals for turns and stopping.
- Clothing must be bright, and helmets should fit properly (helmets are required for riders under 16 years old).
- Reflective equipment and lighting should be correctly displayed.
- NC enforces Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) rules for bicyclists the same as for motor vehicle operators.
- Bike riders must yield to pedestrians.
Bicycles are classified the same as motor vehicles when traveling on the roads.
For a legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Shelby, call 828.286.3866
Damages You Can Receive After a Bicycle Accident
Suppose you are injured in a bicycle accident in North Carolina. In that case, there are steps you should take as soon as possible after your wreck. First, seek medical treatment. You may overlook your injuries right away, but it is crucial to be checked by qualified medical personnel. You can also consider working with a bicycle accident attorney to review your options and potential for compensation.
After our attorney reviews your claim, they can determine what damages we can seek for you. We consider a variety of factors, including:
- Your age
- The severity of your injuries
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Recovery duration
- The driver’s conduct
- Any liability on your part
Our team will fight for you to recover economic and non-economic damages.
Shelby Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Recoverable Economic Damages
Economic damages are the costs that you have incurred due to your wreck. If you had not had the accident, you wouldn’t have these additional expenses. Receipts and documentation support economic damages. Our bicycle accident team will fight to get you as much compensation as possible. Some of the items we can document include:
- Past, current, and future medical costs
- Pharmaceuticals and medical appliances
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages and employment-related benefits
- Inability to return to work at the same level
- Personal property losses
- The cost for repair or replacement of your bicycle
When another person caused your injuries, you should not have to bear the financial consequences of their actions.
We Will Fight for Non-Economic Damages for You
Non-economic compensation is an assessment of non-tangible factors beyond financial expenditures. There is no formula for computing a dollar amount to assign non-economic compensation. The areas we may focus on include:
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Effect on quality of life and ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium (companionship)
Even though there is no exact way to calculate this compensation, our team will consider present and future expectations regarding your recovery and assign a value. Money cannot restore what you have lost, but we will fight to recover damages for you.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
Determining How Much Your Case is Worth
Once our team has compiled your expenses and assigned a value to your non-economic compensation, we will add the two figures to arrive at a base figure. This may not be the final amount of your settlement. Still, it can be helpful when evaluating the merits of settlement offers.
Our attorneys will be with you every step of the way and help you evaluate offers. The final decision is always yours, however. Negotiations may take several back-and-forth discussions with the other party’s insurance carrier. If we cannot settle, we can take the matter to court.
Finding the Right Law Firm to Fight for You
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, has a track record of guiding clients through the process, navigating state and federal laws, and ensuring that clients’ rights are protected. Some of the many tasks we undertake are:
- Examining collected evidence to support your claim
- Identifying liable parties
- Establishing liability for your injuries
- Notifying responsible parties about your intentions in seeking compensation
- Negotiating on your behalf
- Preparing a lawsuit if a settlement is not reached
- Representing you in court if necessary
Our bicycle accident team will endure that you receive the legal representation you deserve. If you feel that your injuries are no fault of your own, contact us for a free consultation.
You Have a Filing Deadline
Per GS §1-52, you have only three years in North Carolina to file an injury lawsuit. Wrongful death cases have a shorter period of two years from the date of death per GS §1-53. Having a Shelby bicycle accident lawyer means they will remain aware of any changes to these laws for you.
Bicycle Accident Statistics Aren’t Pretty
North Carolina ranks near the top as least safe for pedestrians and bicyclists. An average of 850 cyclists are hit by vehicles every year. More than half of the vehicle-bicycle wrecks occur at intersections, many while cars are in the process of maneuvering through a turn.
If you were involved in a bicycle-vehicle accident, it might benefit you to contact a Shelby bicycle accident lawyer.
Use Your Free Consultation to Discuss Your Claim
When a law firm offers a free consultation, it is a way for you to meet with an attorney and discuss your case with no risk. If you have a viable claim, it gives you time to know whether the lawyer is a good “fit” for you. Because injury cases can take quite a bit of time, feeling comfortable with your legal representative is an essential key.
Turn that key and unlock your potential for compensation by contacting Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC. Our team is ready to work with you to fight for you.