While many people think of prenuptial agreements as only covering financial matters in the event of a divorce, they can actually cover many other topics. You may be hesitant or reluctant to consider putting this document in place. When our Rutherfordton prenuptial agreement lawyer at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, represents you, we carefully listen to your preferences and help you understand how to put them in the correct legal form.
Even if both prospective spouses agree that a prenuptial agreement is necessary, you should consider having your own lawyer involved in its creation. Our family law team can help you formalize a legally binding document that preserves ownership of the property and assets you own if your marriage does not last. Our goal during representation is to ensure you understand your rights and responsibilities and to aid you in drafting a valid and enforceable agreement.
- How North Carolina laws shape your prenuptial agreement
- Who should have a premarital contract?
- Why should you have a prenuptial agreement?
- What if I need to make amendments or revisions later?
- Benefits of working with our lawyer when preparing your prenuptial agreement
- Read why previous clients recommend our firm
- Contact one of our family law team members today
In This Article
How North Carolina Laws Shape Your Prenuptial Agreement
When you decide to create a premarital contract, your goal is to reach an agreement with your potential spouse about the distribution of your assets if the marriage does not work out. In North Carolina, the law limits what your prenuptial agreement can contain. Within the prescribed parameters, you can:
- Decide how to distribute real property
- Assert certain rights over property control
- Define the limitations of spousal support
- Draft your will and any trust agreements
- Decide the distribution of life insurance policies
Legal guidance throughout the process is an important part of its success and effectiveness. Our case preparation team will help you include a wide range of your preferred provisions and resolutions within the parameters of the law.
Who Should Have a Premarital Contract?
While most people do not plan for their marriage to end in divorce, a premarital contract is a secure, legal way to put your financial affairs in order in case a divorce does happen. A premarital contract can help you establish more than financial security. You may want to consider drawing up a premarital contract if you:
- Have children from a previous marriage or relationship
- Have real property, stocks, or other financial assets
- Own or are a partner in a business, or plan to be
- Want to define potential spousal support obligations
By legally cementing your goals, you can give yourself peace of mind concerning your financial affairs. Our team can help you reap the benefits of a premarital agreement by offering the legal counsel and support you need.
Why Should You Have a Prenuptial Agreement?
It can be hard to decide that a premarital agreement is right for you. However, taking this precaution has many benefits. It can help you:
- Protect assets you owned before your marriage
- Preserve assets for children born before your marriage
- Define each spouse’s individual debts and obligations
In addition, a prenuptial agreement can set boundaries for future income and earnings. Another benefit of such an agreement is its ability to make any divorce action less arduous, since your preferences are agreed to and outlined in the correct legal form.
What if I Need to Make Amendments or Revisions Later?
If circumstances after your marriage lead you toward changing your prenuptial agreement, we can help with that, too. G.S. § 52B-6 allows you to make changes as long as these changes are in writing only. When our team represents you, we make sure:
- You fully understand the consequences of any revisions.
- Your requested revisions meet the state’s requirements.
- Your amended premarital agreement is enforceable.
You may wish to alter your provisions if your financial picture changes substantially or if children are born into the marriage. Whatever your reasons, our family law team will assist you in making the necessary adjustments.
For a legal consultation with a prenuptial agreement lawyer serving Rutherfordton, call 828.286.3866
Benefits of Working With Our Lawyer When Preparing Your Prenuptial Agreement
G.S. § 52B-2 provides a legal definition of your premarital agreement and the properties it helps protect. G.S. § 52B-4 goes on to define the parameters of the content of the agreement. With help from our team, you can be sure your prenuptial agreement protects your property and assets according to your preferences. At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, in Rutherfordton, our family law team:
- Explains the details involved in the prenuptial agreement process
- Ensures your goals are met in the drafting of your document
- Ensures your document is accurately drafted and properly filed
Once the draft of your prenuptial agreement is complete, we carefully go over all the details it contains and make any changes you request. Our goal is to make sure it provides all the protections you seek and that it stands up in a court of law should the need arise.
Why Previous Clients Recommend Our Firm
One of the best ways to understand what to expect from our team is by hearing from clients we have served in the past. When they talk about our team and the representation they received, they say:
- Morris was great and very helpful during my divorce…I’m very happy with the outcome of everything and would definitely recommend Mr. Morris.” — Miss M
- “Farmer and Morris provided great counsel and handled my case with professionalism. Would highly recommend them to anyone.” — Robert Singleton
- “Awesome attorney. Our family will use him again and we all sing his praises. This is the lawyer to hire.” — Andy Slye
- “Awesome people! Very kind, and caring. Mrs. Farmer goes above and beyond! I recommend this firm to everyone needing legal advice or assistance!!” — CP
When you put our family law team to work for you, we work hard for your preferred resolution. We work just as hard to earn another review that speaks to our commitment to a stellar client experience with our firm.
Rutherfordton Prenuptial Agreement Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Contact One of Our Family Law Team Members Today
If you are planning to marry in Rutherfordton and want to put a valid prenuptial agreement in place before your wedding, our family law lawyer can help. Contact one of our Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, team members at (828) 286-3866 to start planning and preparing your premarital agreement today.