According to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, an average of nine people were killed each year in vehicle accidents in Rutherford County between 2008 and 2018. In the city of Rutherfordton, there were 130 crashes, resulting in one fatality and 53 injuries in 2018.
If you or a loved one was injured as a passenger of a motor vehicle, it could be beneficial to seek legal advice. Some cases involve seeking compensation from more than one source, so it can be challenging to know whose insurance coverage is responsible for paying your medical bills and other expenses relating to the accident.
Hiring a Rutherfordton passenger vehicle accident lawyer can be an excellent first step if you want to find out more about your legal options. The team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC is ready to answer your questions and offer advice about your claim in a free case evaluation at (828) 286-3866 today.
Seeking Compensation for Injuries as a Passenger Can Be Complicated
If you sustained injuries as a passenger in a car crash, you might be in pain, unable to work, and overwhelmed during this emotionally distressing time. If you have a claim, a personal injury lawyer may be able to help you pursue the compensation you deserve, while you focus on your recovery.
However, the legal process can quickly become complicated due to factors such as:
- More than one person can be at fault for the same accident
- You may need to claim damages from more than one party to cover your losses
- There could be multiple claims against a driver’s insurance policy
- You may be considered to be at fault as a passenger
- The at-fault driver is uninsured
- You are apprehensive about pursuing compensation from an at-fault driver who is a family member or friend
The circumstances of the accident and the severity of your injuries will play a fundamental role in deciding how you will proceed with a compensation claim. Injuries can vary from minor scratches and bruises to serious head and spinal injuries requiring extensive medical and rehabilitative care.
Generally, you will have one or a combination of the following options to pursue recovery:
- Filing a claim against the other vehicle’s driver
- Filing a claim against the person driving the vehicle you were in
- Filing a claim through your own insurance
According to North Carolina Statute § 20-279.21, drivers in North Carolina are required to carry the minimum liability car insurance coverage of:
- $30,000 for bodily injuries to one person in one accident
- $60,000 total bodily injury for all persons in an accident
- $25,000 to cover property damage
Navigating the legal process can become complicated if you have sustained severe injuries where expensive treatment is necessary, or if there are several passengers injured who will share the available compensation.
The combined value of the injury cases may exceed the driver’s insurance. From the information above, it is possible that a total amount of $60,000 is all that will be available collectively for all passengers injured in the accident. It may be possible to claim against more than one party, provided they are responsible for your injuries.
You should also be mindful of laws that limit the time for which you have to bring a claim. North Carolina Statute § 1-52 allows three years for filing a personal injury lawsuit. In the event of wrongful death, there is a timeframe of two years to begin legal proceedings, per North Carolina Statute § 1-53.
To go over the specifics of your situation, including if you can claim, what you can claim for, and who may be responsible for paying your expenses, contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC at (828) 286-3866 to learn how a Rutherfordton passenger vehicle accident lawyer from our team may be able to help you.
For a legal consultation with a passenger vehicle accidents lawyer serving Rutherfordton, call 828.286.3866
Common Causes of Car Accidents
While one of the leading factors contributing to the increase in global road crash injuries can be attributed to the ever-growing number of vehicles on the road, other primary causes of road traffic accidents according to the World Health Organization (WHO), include the following:
- Driving under the influence
- Distracted driving
- Driving at night
- Poor vision
- Poor weather conditions
- Vehicle defects
- Poor road design or maintenance
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC understands how being a passenger during a car accident can be confusing and stressful—especially if you were injured. Further, negotiating with insurance adjusters and opposing parties to reach fair settlements can be challenging.
While every case is unique and will vary depending on your circumstances, the compensation you could pursue includes payment to cover the costs incurred from:
- Current and ongoing medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial expenses, as well as loss of consortium, in the event of wrongful death
We aim to make the process easy for you and work hard to achieve fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
Rutherfordton Passenger Vehicle Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
A Rutherfordton Passenger Vehicle Accident Lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC May Be Able to Help You
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we strive to support our clients with the assistance needed for a positive solution for their legal requirements. When you choose us to represent you, along with protecting your legal rights and serving your best interests, we may be able to build a highly detailed case and:
- Investigate the cause of the accident
- Request and collect the necessary evidence to support your claim
- Estimate the value of your claim
- Provide access to medical experts who can offer expert testimony
- Negotiate on your behalf with insurance companies and their lawyers
- Review settlement offers
- Represent you in court where necessary
If you or a loved one has been injured as a passenger in a car accident and sustained injuries, we may be able to help you pursue a full and fair settlement for your losses. Call for a free case evaluation today at (828) 286-3866.