A car accident can cause physical pain, emotional trauma, and financial distress, among other damages. A Polk County car accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, would be happy to assess your case and help you fight for fair compensation.
Why seek compensation? Not only can a lawsuit get you the money you need to afford medical care and other necessities, but it can also hold the liable party accountable for their actions. This way, you can get both justice and fair compensation.
- How our car accident attorney can help you
- Types of damages injured victims of car wrecks can pursue
- What are economic damages?
- What are non-economic damages?
- Who pays my damages?
- The most common causes of car wrecks in North Carolina
- Learn more about your legal options by contacting a car accident attorney today
- How our car accident attorney can help you
It is easy to feel overwhelmed after an event as devastating as a car wreck. Our team wants to support you during this challenging time by taking your legal burden off your shoulders. Instead of worrying about your lawsuit, you can focus on spending time with loved ones and recuperating as much as possible.
While you take care of yourself, our legal team can take care of everything else, including:
- Keeping you updated: We always keep clients apprised of what is happening and what it means for their case’s future. We can even help you make legal decisions, such as how much to ask for and when to settle.
- Investigating your injuries: Our team can visit the scene of the wreck, request documentary evidence, speak with witnesses, and much more. This evidence may persuade the liable party to offer a fair settlement.
- Filing all paperwork: We can take care of clerical tasks, such as filling out forms and responding to calls from the liable party.
- Negotiating for compensation: Instead of confronting the liable party alone, let us meet with them and fight for your interests. We are not intimidated by their lawyers or legal maneuvers.
- Fighting for a jury award: If necessary, we can represent you at trial and to seek a jury award by presenting evidence and arguments, questioning witnesses, and more.
With our assistance, you can avoid possible legal pitfalls that could jeopardize your case. These include:
- Accepting a settlement that is too low and does not meet your needs
- Letting the statute of limitations expire—in other words, missing the legal deadline before which personal injury victims must file a lawsuit
- Saying something to the insurance company that allows them to blame you for your injuries and thereby reduce your compensation
In This Article
Types of Damages Injured Victims of Car Wrecks Can Pursue
To get compensation, you must first catalog and put a “price tag” on both your financial losses and your physical and psychological injuries. This can be challenging due to the painful nature of your injuries and the many types of compensation potentially available.
A car accident attorney from our firm can investigate your Polk County collision and help you determine what to ask for in a personal injury lawsuit. A few common types of damages are listed below.
What are Economic Damages?
You could qualify for economic damages if the wreck worsened your financial situation in any way. For example, you could be reimbursed for money lost due to:
- The temporary loss or diminishment of income or benefits
- A permanent reduction in income or ability to work
- The loss of employment opportunities or the ability to work at all
You could also seek compensation for accident-related expenses like:
- Medical expenses, including travel expenses related to seeing a doctor
- The cost of repairing or replacing your car
- The cost of any product or service you only needed because of the wreck, including attorney’s fees associated with pursuing damages.
To prove that you deserve economic damages, we can collect pay stubs, receipts, and bills.
What are Non-Economic Damages?
Any physical, mental, or emotional hardship caused by the car wreck could enable you to collect non-economic damages. Examples of compensable physical injuries include:
- Disability, such as brain damage or the loss of a limb
- Disfigurement caused by scar tissue
- Physical pain and distress
- The inability to perform necessary tasks independently
Emotional injuries can be more challenging to quantify, but they are no less important. Examples include:
- Mental illness (e.g., post-traumatic stress disorder) or trauma caused by the wreck
- A loss of connection with your spouse
- The emotional toll of the physical pain associated with your injuries
- Grief associated with having to let your old way of life go
Finding proof of non-economic damages may be more challenging than finding proof of economic damages. However, we can seek corroboration from witness statements, expert testimony, and any relevant personal photos or video you took.
Who Pays My Damages?
Motor vehicle operators in North Carolina are required to carry a certain amount of insurance, as stated in G.S. § 20-279.21. In the event of an accident, the insurer will pay any damages caused by their client.
If the liable driver in your case broke the law by not carrying sufficient insurance, they must pay your compensation out of pocket. This may complicate your case, but we can still help you collect damages.
For a legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Polk County, call 828.286.3866
The Most Common Causes of Car Wrecks in North Carolina
As shown on Page 10 of a study conducted by the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the most common causes of injury car wrecks in 2019 were:
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Not paying attention to the road
- Road rage, aggressive driving, and general recklessness
- Driving in the wrong lane or the wrong direction
These behaviors are easily preventable with caution and attention; there is no reason that anyone should be injured by such negligence. We want to put your mind at ease and make North Carolina a safer place for all drivers by helping you get justice after a motor vehicle accident.
Polk County Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Learn More About Your Legal Options By Contacting a Car Accident Attorney Today
Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC offers free case evaluations to anyone injured in a car wreck. A car accident attorney from our firm can explain all of the legal options available to you. All you have to do is call us at (828) 286-3866.