Dogs are America’s favorite pet. Over one-third of households in the US own a dog. If you were to describe a dog you might use these words: cuddly, friendly, and playful. However, dogs aren’t always man’s best friend. When they attack, they can cause serious injuries.
Victims of dog bites in North Carolina can pursue legal action or an insurance settlement to receive compensation. This compensation can be invaluable, it often covers many of the costs associated with a dog bite. If you were recently bitten by a dog, a Morganton dog bite lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC can help. We’ll fight for compensation on your behalf.
Compensation After a Dog Bite
The Insurance Information Institute (Triple-I) reports that the average cost of a dog bite claim in the US is $49,025. This statistic proves that dog bites can incur a severe financial toll. Victims may struggle to manage their medical expenses amid time off work after an attack.
Luckily, an insurance claim or lawsuit can offset or completely cover the costs associated with a dog bite. Dog bite claimants can pursue compensation for these damages:
- Lost wages or reduced earning potential
- Medical expenses
- Veterinary bills if your own dog was injured in the attack
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent injuries, like scarring, or disfigurement
- Wrongful death if your case involved the passing of a loved one
How Much Will I Receive?
No two dog bites unfold the same way. Some result in serious injuries, whereas others cause only minor scrapes or bruising. Medical expenses correlate closely with the potential compensation you can receive.
Similarly, dog bite settlements are contingent on the outcome of negotiations. If you or your lawyer negotiate effectively, you could receive a higher settlement. If you fail to negotiate effectively, though, it could harm the value of your case.
The variability of these factors means that there’s no “average” dog bite settlement. Settlements can range from a few thousand dollars to upwards of a million dollars. It all depends on the context of your case.
The Benefits of Hiring a Dog Bite Lawyer
A Morganton dog bite lawyer from our firm can manage every aspect of your case. We can:
- Examine which laws apply to your case
- Answer your questions
- Manage your communications
- Engage in negotiations with insurers and other relevant parties
- Assess the value of your damages
- File a personal injury lawsuit, if required
- Ensure that you meet case deadlines
These are provided with two goals in mind:
- Offer you peace of mind: Getting attacked by a dog is stressful. Dog bites don’t just involve medical expenses. They can force you to take time off work and cause you enormous pain. After a dog bite, you deserve time to recover. By hiring us, you’ll give yourself more breathing room. We’ll stress over the details of your case, so you don’t have to.
- The pursuit of a fair settlement: Settlements can positively impact the lives of dog bite victims. As a firm, we’re intimately familiar with this fact. We care about the betterment of our clients and can tirelessly pursue the best settlement possible on your behalf.
Testimonials from our clients illustrate our commitment to compassionate legal service. This is what our previous clients have said about working with two of our lawyers, Hannah Davies, and Gabrielle Valentine:
- “I was very pleased with the services and professionalism of Ms. Valentine and her office, to include Ms. Santos. Ms. Valentine handled our matter in a professional and expeditious manner. I was very pleased with her knowledge of the matter, and her attention to detail. I am also quite pleased with the professionalism of her staff.” – Joann T.
- My husband and I would like to take a minute to thank Mrs. Davies, a lawyer with Farmer & Morris Law who helped us tremendously. Friendly, attentive and respectful, Mrs. Davies is the best attorney you will ever find, so willing to assist you with your need and we recommend her for her practice. Thank you for your hard work!” – Sarah H.
Can I Afford a Dog Bite Lawyer?
Hiring a dog bite lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC is easier than you might think. Our firm works on a contingency basis, which means that:
- We won’t charge you any upfront fees or retainers
- We’re on the same team, we don’t get paid unless you win
- Our final payment will come as a percentage of your settlement
How Long Do I Have to File a Dog Bite Lawsuit in Morganton?
Dog bite lawsuits in Morganton are subject to North Carolina’s personal injury statute of limitations. This statute typically imposes a three-year deadline on dog bite lawsuits in North Carolina, per G.S. § 1-52. If your case involves wrongful death, this deadline shrinks to two years.
These deadlines can be impacted by the context of your case. Our lawyers are familiar with North Carolina personal injury, and we can ensure that you meet your deadlines. If you’re confused about which deadlines apply to your case, we can review the specifics of your dog bite.
How Do “One Bite” Rules Apply to Dog Bite Cases?
North Carolina adheres to “one bite” common law. This law means that dog owners can’t typically be held liable for an attack if they weren’t aware that their dog was dangerous. Dangerous dogs are defined as the following by North Carolina law:
- The dog has killed or seriously injured someone without provocation
- The dog was designated as dangerous by local authorities
- The dog was trained for fighting
Owners of dangerous dogs are held to strict standards by the state:
- The dog cannot be left unattended unless it’s adequately restrained
- The dog cannot leave the owner’s premises unless it’s shackled and muzzled
If your dog bite was perpetrated by an unrestrained dangerous dog, you’ll likely have grounds to pursue compensation. Cases involving dogs without a history of attacks are more complicated. We can evaluate your case and inform you of your best course of action.
You Deserve Compensation After a Dog Bite
Our team of dog bite lawyers is ready to support the residents of Morganton. We believe that you deserve fair compensation for your injuries. Our lawyers are prepared to stand up to insurers and exhaust every option in our pursuit of fair compensation. Contact our offices for a free no-obligation case review. We’ll pursue compensation while you recover from your injuries.