Being the victim of a hit-and-run accident can be very stressful and confusing. How are you going to pay for your injuries and damage? Can you still get compensation if you don’t have the at-fault driver’s insurance information?
A Morganton hit-and-run accident lawyer from our team can answer these questions. Our personal injury staff can guide you through the entire process of seeking compensation after a hit-and-run.
In This Article
We Serve Hit-and-Run Victims in Morganton
The hit-and-run attorneys at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC know how scary this type of accident can be. That’s why we’re proud to use our knowledge of North Carolina’s auto insurance regulations and personal injury law to help victims like you. Your lawyer can navigate the complex and often stressful process of filing a claim for your hit-and-run accident and recovering compensation.
Our job is to:
- Gather evidence of your accident, injuries, and property damage
- Evaluate the circumstances of your hit-and-run accident to determine the best course of action for recovering compensation
- Calculate the real value of your damages
- File and handle insurance claims
- Negotiate with insurance companies for the best possible settlement
Don’t let the cost of hiring a lawyer prevent you from seeking help to get compensation. We work on contingency fees, meaning you don’t pay anything upfront. Plus, we only get paid if you win a settlement.
For a legal consultation with a hit and run accidents lawyer serving Morganton, call 828.286.3866
Common Causes of Hit-and-Run Accidents Our Firm Sees
Per G.S. § 20-166, all drivers in North Carolina are required to stop after an accident that results in property damage, bodily injury, and/or death. But not all drivers stop after being in an accident for reasons like:
- Driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
- Driving without a valid license
- Driving without auto insurance or with inadequate auto insurance
- Driving a stolen vehicle or while committing another crime
- On parole, probation, or under warrant
- Fear of the consequences
No matter what the reason is, the other driver involved in your accident had a legal right to:
- Check if you and your passengers were okay
- Provide their contact details, insurance information, and other important information so you could file a claim
But you still have options for recovering compensation.
Morganton Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
You Can Seek Compensation for a Hit-and-Run Accident in Morgantown
There are multiple avenues through which your lawyer could recover compensation after a hit-and-run accident in Morganton. The first two avenues would be through your state-required insurance policies.
You Could Secure Compensation From Your Insurance Coverage
Per G.S. § 20-309, all drivers with North Carolina registration must maintain a personal auto insurance policy. In addition, G.S. § 20-279.21 states that drivers must also have uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. Both policies must meet the following minimum amounts:
- $30,000 in bodily injury coverage for one person
- $60,000 in bodily injury coverage for two or more people
- $25,000 in property damage coverage
You can also add another policy for underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage, referring to drivers who have insurance that doesn’t meet the state-required minimum coverage amounts. Lastly, you can also file a claim with the other driver’s insurance policy if the driver is found and if they have insurance at all.
As long as you have these state-required auto insurance policies in place, you can recover compensation to pay for the following economic and non-economic damages:
- Medical bills
- Vehicle repair and replacement costs
- Lost wages and/or earning potential
- Pain and suffering
How Much Compensation Will I Receive?
It’s hard to estimate how much compensation you can recover because no two hit-and-run accidents are the same. That means what you can recover can vary widely from what another victim can. The amount of compensation depends on the following factors:
- The number of policies you can file a claim with
- The coverage amounts on those policies
- The type and severity of your injuries
- The types and severity of your property damage
- Your total medical and other economic costs so far
- Projected future medical and other economic costs
- How your injuries from the accident impact your life
A hit-and-run lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC will exhaust all your compensation options to help you get as much financial assistance for your injuries and property damage as possible.
What To Do After a Hit-and-Run Accident in Morgantown?
Like any other accident, you should always seek medical attention as soon as you can after a hit-and-run incident, whether or not you think you’ve been injured. That way, you can document your injuries and get started on treatment right away. Here are some other steps to follow:
- Do not pursue the other vehicle. Pull over to a safe part of the road and away from traffic. Going after the other driver could put you in a more dangerous situation.
- Call 9-1-1. Get the police and emergency medical services to the scene immediately. File a police report when they arrive.
- Write down what you remember about the other driver and their vehicle. Jot down the color, make, model, and special features of the car (spoilers, stickers, etc.). Note the license plate number (or portions of it), if possible. Be sure to write what the driver looked like, too.
- Preserve evidence. Take photos of your vehicle, your injuries, and evidence that indicates the involvement of another vehicle. Get contact information from any witnesses. Note any security cameras that may be around.
- Retain your hit-and-run attorney. Your lawyer serving Morganton can get started on gathering evidence, building your case, and working with your insurance company.
- Report the accident to your insurance company. You may do so yourself or have your lawyer handle this for you. Your attorney can file the claim so you can focus on recovery.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
Trust Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC To Handle Your Hit-and-Run Accident
Insurance companies try to offer the lowest-possible settlement to policyholders and claimants, even after a hit-and-run accident. You shouldn’t be punished for suffering from another party’s negligence.
So Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC is ready to demand more from your insurance company and help you get the most from your policy. Contact our office today for your free case evaluation.
Call or text 828.286.3866 or complete a Case Evaluation form