A traffic collision is a frightening ordeal. In the aftermath of the wreck, you may be suffering from physical injuries, emotional suffering, and other types of damages. A Lincolnton car accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can help you understand what compensation you may be due.
We’ll fight to prove your right to financial recovery and manage the details of your case so that you can focus on your physical and/or mental recovery.
In This Article
- How a Car Wreck Lawyer Can Manage Your Case
- Economic Damages You May Be Entitled to Receive
- Non-Economic Damages You May Be Entitled to Receive
- Determining Liability for Your Car Wreck in Lincolnton
- If Your Collision Resulted in Serious Injuries
- The Time Limit to File a Lawsuit in Lincolnton, NC
- Contact Our Law Firm for Help
How a Car Wreck Lawyer Can Manage Your Case
After your wreck in Lincolnton, a car accident lawyer on our team can build a personal injury case and fight for your financial recovery. Preparing to file a claim or a lawsuit is a complex process. From collecting evidence to navigating legal jargon, a law firm can ease the burden by managing your case for you.
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we can help you by:
- Reviewing the crash report: We can carefully inspect your case to identify the at-fault party or parties.
- Collecting evidence: We will build an evidence file to support your claim.
- Interviewing witnesses: We can interview any witnesses who saw the wreck and can corroborate your claim.
- Managing communication and paperwork: We will take on all communications with insurance companies, attorneys, etc., and be responsible for the proper filing of any paperwork relevant to your case.
- Negotiating a potential settlement: We can negotiate with the opposing party for fair out-of-court compensation.
- Presenting your case at trial: If necessary, we can present your case in court.
- Providing you updates: We will keep you abreast of all new information, court notes, and other messages throughout the litigation process.
For a legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Lincolnton, call 828.286.3866
Economic Damages You May Be Entitled to Receive
Economic damages are tangible costs that you’ve incurred due to the car wreck in Lincolnton. These may include:
- Medical bills
- Costs for medications and/or medical devices
- Travel expenses to and from medical appointments
- Car repair and/or replacement costs
- Property damage
- Current or future loss of wages
Collecting receipts, documents, and invoices to calculate the monetary value for each of these damages can be tedious and overwhelming. Our car wreck lawyer can manage this process for you to calculate an accurate value, so we can fight for fair compensation.
Lincolnton Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Non-Economic Damages You May Be Entitled to Receive
Not all damages you’ve incurred are tangibly tied to your car wreck in Lincolnton. These are referred to as non-economic damages. They may include:
- Loss of affection
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Impairment to mobility
- Chronic injuries
- Discontinuation of professional and/or educational goals
- Inability to provide for dependents
These damages are subjective, which means the above list is not inclusive, and you may qualify for additional compensation. According to G.S. § 90-21(19), there is no cap to the non-economic damages you can receive in personal injury cases involving car wrecks. Your car wreck lawyer can help you understand all the details during a free case review.
Determining Liability for Your Car Wreck in Lincolnton
Often, personal injury claims for car wrecks result from negligent and reckless driving behavior. Drivers are obliged to follow traffic laws in order to preserve the safety of pedestrians and other drivers on the road. Negligent actions are those that a reasonable person in the same situation would not have engaged in, as they put others at risk.
Negligence can cause car wrecks when a person or entity acts with poor judgment. Examples include:
- Driving while distracted
- Improperly changing lanes
- Failing to stop at traffic lights or stop signs
- Failing to yield
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
If Your Collision Resulted in Serious Injuries
Often, car wrecks lead to severe and even life-threatening injuries. For example, victims may experience:
- Organ damage
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Dislocated joints
- Broken and fractured bones
- Other trauma
Serious injuries such as these can dramatically impact your way of life—you may be unable to work or engage in activities that you previously enjoyed.
Your losses may be valued higher than the involved insurance policies will cover in some cases. A car accident lawyer from our firm could file a lawsuit on your behalf to recoup these losses.
The Time Limit to File a Lawsuit in Lincolnton, NC
Although you may be entitled to compensation for economic damages and/or non-economic damages, there is a deadline by which you must file your lawsuit.
In North Carolina, there are different deadlines to respect depending on whether you’re filing a personal injury claim or a wrongful death claim:
- If you were injured in a car wreck: You must abide by G.S. § 1-52. The personal injury statute of limitations generally gives you three years from the date of the wreck to file.
- If someone you love passed away in a car wreck: You must abide by G.S. § 1-53. The wrongful death statute of limitations generally gives you two years from the date of the death to file.
Failing to initiate a lawsuit by the deadline can result in case dismissal. You will be barred from pursuing compensation if this happens, leaving you financially responsible for your own economic and non-economic damages.
Contact Our Law Firm for Help
A car wreck can cause many different kinds of damages. For help fighting for compensation from another party, contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC at (828) 286-3866. Our team is ready to discuss your case during a free consultation.