If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, you could be entitled to receive compensation from the liable party. You could face high medical bills or other types of losses after a truck accident. The injuries you sustained could cause you to be out of work for some time.
A Kings Mountain truck accident lawyer at Farmer & Morris, PLLC can help you recover the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys can review your case and guide you every step of the way while you focus on recovering.
In This Article
How Much Is a Truck Accident Case Worth?
The amount of compensation you can receive from a truck accident case can vary based on the circumstances. Our legal team works with you to document your losses to make sure you seek fair compensation.
Types of Recoverable Damages
Recoverable damages are the amount of money a court requires someone to pay for injuring someone. These damages can be separated into two categories, economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include monetary losses you have had to pay for because of your injuries. Non-economic damages may include pain, suffering, or any type of emotional anguish. Some examples of damages you could recover after a truck accident include:
- Medical costs: Any medical visits could be recovered during a truck accident lawsuit. This also includes any occupational or physical therapy, emergency room visits, or ongoing care.
- Lost wages: If you have to be out of work because of the injuries you sustained during the wreck, you could be compensated for the income you lost.
- Reduced or lost earning capacity: You may not be able to return to work in the same capacity because of injuries you sustained. Our attorneys can assist you with calculating how much you should be compensated for in future earnings.
- Pain and suffering: This is a non-economic loss that covers the physical pain and turmoil you went through while recovering from the car accident.
- Emotional damages: It is common after accidents that people who were involved will suffer from anxiety, depression, PTSD, or other negative emotions. These conditions can be calculated as a loss that could be recovered.
For a legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Kings Mountain, call 828.286.3866
Negligence Can Cause Truck Accidents
Commercial trucks are large compared to regular consumer vehicles. Because of this, truck accidents can be disastrous. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) puts strict regulations in place to lower the number of truck accidents. A few of the main causes of truck accidents across the United States include:
- Fatigue: Federal regulations require truck drivers to keep detailed logs of their activity to make sure they are getting enough rest time. Most commercial drivers get paid by the load. Therefore, the faster they can deliver, the more money they make. Many drivers will push themselves to the limit and drive while they are too fatigued, which has the potential to cause severe damage to any other vehicles on the road with them.
- Overloaded trucks: Trucking regulations monitor how much weight a truck can carry. If the trucker disregards this rule, accidents can happen.
- Defective truck: It is crucial that trucking companies keep up with the maintenance of their trucks. If the tires or brakes of the truck are defective, it could result in an accident.
- Driver error: The driver could be distracted because of texting or using the radio. Other reasons a truck accident could occur due to driver error include speeding, aggressive driving, driver inexperience, or impaired driving.
- Severe weather: Inclement weather can make it more difficult for drivers to control their vehicles. Rain, snow, ice, wind, and fog can lower driver visibility and cause catastrophic collisions.
Liable Parties in a Truck Accident
In most truck accident cases, it is usually clear who is at fault. The truck driver could be responsible for the accident, but their trucking company could be liable too. It depends on the circumstances of the case to determine who is at fault. If the truck driver is impaired or not following the traffic rules of the road, it is likely they will be responsible. If the crash resulted because of defective parts, the trucking company could be held liable.
A Kings Mountain truck accident lawyer at Farmer & Morris, PLLC will help you recognize the liable party in your accident.
Kings Mountain Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Actions to Take After Getting in a Truck Accident
After a truck accident, you may feel overwhelmed and scared. It is important to try staying calm during this time and remember the following steps:
- Make sure everyone involved in the accident is okay and the vehicles are pulled into a safe area if possible.
- Seek medical attention if needed.
- Call the police and file a report.
- Take any pictures of the damage that could be used as evidence. If the truck has noticeable brake or tire damage, make sure to get photos of that.
- Exchange information with all parties involved in the crash.
- Document details you remember from the scene.
An attorney from our firm can help you determine what evidence is necessary for your case. Our lawyers will manage your case for you by doing the following:
- Inspect your truck accident case by reviewing crash reports. We will conduct our investigation to find more evidence to support your case.
- We will represent you throughout all communications and court appearances. We will negotiate on your behalf during settlement proceedings and represent you during a trial if a settlement can not be reached.
North Carolina’s Statute of Limitations
If you were injured in a truck accident, you have three years to file a lawsuit, according to G.S. §1-52. The three years begin from the day of the crash. If the deadline passes, you will no longer be able to receive compensation. As a client of ours, we can make sure you do not miss any deadlines pertinent to your case.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
We are Ready to Advocate for You
At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we will dedicate the proper amount of time to your truck accident case in Kings Mountain. We want you to feel comfortable every step of the way. Many of our past clients are very happy with the representation we offered and the care we put towards their cases.
Fill out a contact form for a free consultation. We are more than happy to answer any of your questions.