A hit-and-run accident is when a driver causes an accident and flees the scene. This situation can occur for many reasons. Yet, none of those reasons matter while you’re struggling with serious injuries or the loss of a loved one.
Even if the driver is never identified, you still have options for recovering compensation for your losses. A Kings Mountain hit-and-run accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC can pursue what you need. We offer free case reviews and can start working on your case today.
How Long Do You Have To File a Lawsuit After Getting Hurt?
Under North Carolina’s statute of limitations, you generally have three years to file an injury lawsuit, per G.S. § 1-52. You have a shorter period to file a wrongful death lawsuit; the state generally gives you two years to file.
It is critical to ensure your case is filed on time. Failure to file your claim by the statute’s expiration date may result in a court refusing to hear your case. When you hire a personal injury attorney from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we will meet each of your case’s deadlines.
Recoverable Damages in a Kings Mountain Hit-and-Run Collision
Compensation in your case could account for:
Medical expenses may include but are not limited to:
- Ambulance rides
- Emergency department care
- Doctor’s visits
- Prescription drugs
- Physical therapy
These costs are relatively easy to calculate because they are based on bills and receipts. When determining what you’re owed, we’ll consider your condition’s severity, general well-being, and pre-existing health conditions.
Lost Income and Wages
If you were unable to work and lost income, this can be calculated into your claim’s value. Many forms of income, including self-employment, fall into this category. Like medical bills, we can also calculate these losses fairly easily. We will examine your employment records, past wage statements, and other information to determine what you need.
Pain and Suffering
Pain and suffering includes both the physical pain and mental anguish that resulted from the accident. These damages are more challenging to estimate because they are intangible and cannot be quantified with paperwork. Yet, a personal injury attorney from our team can help assess this damage and include it in your claim.
Diminished Earning Capacity
Diminished earning capacity is a reduction in your income due to your injuries. For instance, if you previously worked as a nurse, but now you have limited mobility, you might not earn as much as you did before. This hardship can be included in your claim or lawsuit’s value.
A permanent disability can involve:
- Losing a limb
- Harm to your mental health
If you have a permanent disability, you may be unable to handle the physical demands of your previous job. Even getting around the house could take more effort than before. We can determine the impact of your disability on your life and fight for fair compensation.
Scarring and Disfigurement
Extensive scarring and disfigurement can have lifelong consequences for victims. These injuries can cause lasting discomfort and disability. In addition, severe disfigurement may diminish one’s quality of life, adversely affect their self-esteem, result in psychological damages, and prevent them from performing daily tasks.
These are just some damages you can recover with the help of our legal team. With Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC on your side, you can rest easy knowing that we’re doing everything possible to resolve your case.
You Could Recover Damages Either Through a Claim or a Lawsuit
North Carolina is a fault state when it comes to car accident cases. This means, after a crash, the at-fault driver’s insurance company generally pays for injured claimants’ losses. However, this can get complicated if the negligent driver left the accident scene.
In this situation, you could file a claim with your uninsured/underinsured motorist protection coverage. Alternatively, after reexamining your case, we may find that another party caused your collision. Here, we can file a claim with their insurer to recover what you need.
Every case comes with its own circumstances. After reviewing your case’s details, we will craft a legal strategy that champions your rights and pushes for a fair outcome.
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help After a Hit-and-Run Wreck
It can be challenging to secure fair compensation following a hit-and-run wreck on your own. However, regardless of the factors involved in your case, our accident attorneys are here for you. You can expect us to:
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation. We will conduct a detailed analysis of your hit-and-run wreck, including gathering evidence and working with the police to identify the negligent driver. We will also assess your recoverable damages and determine their value.
- Identify the liable parties. As noted, in addition to the other driver, other parties could be responsible for your hit-and-run wreck. We can correctly identify any other potentially responsible parties and hold them accountable.
- Manage your insurance claim. We will review the applicable insurance policy (such as your own uninsured motorist protection coverage) to fight for what you need.
- Offer personalized representation. Every case is different and comes with different obligations. We will tailor our legal services to meet your case’s details.
Listen to What Previous Clients Share About Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC
When asked about their experience working with us, previous clients noted:
- “I was treated like a friend rather than just a client. Andrea and Katrina made me feel comfortable and anytime I had any questions, I always received a quick response. I highly recommend this firm because they will work hard for you as they did for me.” ––Shelia K.
- “I have used this law firm for multiple different services. They are hands down the best and very affordable! Mrs. Valentine and Alexis handled everything for me with very short notice. I would recommend Farmer and Morris to anyone.” ––Jessica H.
Contact Our Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Kings Mountain Today
If you suffered injuries in a collision another party caused, you shouldn’t have to pay for your injury-related losses. The team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC is ready to manage your hit-and-run accident case.
With our team on your side, all you have to focus on is moving forward. We’ll manage everything else. To begin your free case review with our injury team, call us now.