Whether you are an Uber driver, a regular driver, a passenger in any vehicle, or a pedestrian, rideshare accidents can be devastating. You should know that you may have the option of suing the liable party for damages.
If you decide that pursuing a case is the right option for you, a Gastonia Uber accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can take care of everything. From calculating your damages to negotiating a fair settlement, we leave no stone unturned when it comes to fighting for you.
A Gastonia car wreck can affect your life in many ways—and each person involved in a wreck will suffer consequences specific to them. You may have the right to claim whatever injuries you sustained, such as:
- Pain and suffering: Your physical and psychological symptoms have caused you considerable distress and anguish. If your injuries are permanent, such symptoms could affect you for the rest of your life.
- Loss of income/earning capacity: Loss of income refers to money you lost by temporarily staying home from work. Loss of earning capacity reflects a longer-term loss caused by permanent, disabling injuries.
- Reduced quality of life: For example, after an accident, some people can no longer perform basic tasks (e.g., getting dressed) without help. Others have to give up their favorite hobbies or social activities.
- Medical expenses: Wondering how you can afford the healthcare you need? A claim or lawsuit could secure money for hospital stays, medication, rehabilitative therapy, assistive devices, and so on.
- Scarring: Scars can be more than just marks on your skin. They could affect your self-image, as well as your ability to use that body part.
- Property damage: If you are an Uber driver, you depend on your car to make ends meet. For everyone else, their car still represents a significant investment that allows them to go to work, run errands, and more.
According to data from the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT), the average cost of a traffic collision in Gaston County is $68,470. For most families, this is an exorbitant amount. You should not have to foot the bill for someone else’s negligence.
For a legal consultation with a uber accidents lawyer serving Gastonia, call 828.286.3866
No one should have to cope with the aftermath of a car wreck by themselves. Our Gastonia Uber accident lawyer wants to help you in the best way we know how: by managing your legal case while you take all the time you need to relax and recover.
Here are the three basic steps we follow when pursuing compensation for clients:
First, We Work With You
Our clients are, first and foremost, in our thoughts. If we take your case, we will:
- Let you tell us your story
- Present the pros and cons of each viable legal option—but leave the final decision up to you
- Contact you every time something new happens with your case, so you are not left wondering
- Give you our contact information so you can get in touch with us whenever you have questions or updates
Next, We Investigate the Wreck
Collecting evidence should tell us:
- Who caused the crash
- How the liable party caused the crash
- How much money your case is worth
Our attorneys could find the information we need in various ways, including:
- Visiting the scene of the car wreck
- Interviewing witnesses to and participants in the wreck
- Requesting documents from various parties, such as your healthcare provider
- Hiring experts to offer their opinions about the wreck or your injuries
Finally, We Pursue Damages
With evidence in hand and a strategy in place, our lawyers can confront the liable party for their role in your rideshare collision. This could mean negotiating with their insurance company for a settlement or taking the liable party to court.
To negotiate a settlement, we would
- Tell the insurance company how much you want
- Have the insurer speak with us instead of with you directly
- Evaluate any counteroffers the insurer makes to determine if they are fair
- Meet in person with the insurer’s representatives to hammer out a settlement agreement
- Prove our case—and disprove any statements the insurer makes—by showing them the evidence we collected
If we have to go to trial, you do not have to worry about representing yourself. Our Uber accident attorney would:
- Set the trial dates
- Appear in court on your behalf
- Prepare witnesses for questioning
- Keep an eye on the defense’s behavior and raise objections to it if necessary
- Undermine the stories and credibility of the defense’s witnesses
- Submit evidence as trial exhibits in a timely manner
- Deliver opening and closing arguments to persuade the jury to award you money
Gastonia Uber Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
In a regular car wreck lawsuit, you already have to deal with several different parties, including:
- The other driver
- Their lawyers
- Their insurance company
- Any other liable parties involved in the accident
With Uber accidents, on top of the parties listed above, you could also have to deal with Uber and their representatives. Even with cases that seem simple, you could end up having to quickly figure out the answers to questions like, “Whose insurance should I seek compensation from: Uber’s or the driver’s?” That depends on the driver’s status at the time of the crash. According to Uber:
- If the driver didn’t have the app on, their personal auto insurance would cover the damages.
- If the driver had the app on, but no ride, Uber would cover whatever the personal auto insurance wouldn’t.
- If the driver was on their way to pick up a passenger or had passengers, Uber’s insurance would cover the losses.
In addition to these considerations, you will have to work within the statute of limitations found in G.S. § 1-52. This law states that you typically have three years to file your suit, or else you lose your right to damages.
For all of these reasons, we encourage you to consider retaining our services. Our firm could take the guesswork out of suing Uber or an Uber driver.
A Gastonia Uber accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, can be a formidable ally in your fight to collect compensation. Call our firm today and get a free case review from a member of our team.