An unsafe lane change accident can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills, and financial uncertainty. If another driver was at fault for your accident, they may be liable for your damages in a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit.
You do not need to face this process alone. A Forest City unsafe lane change accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC may be able to manage all aspects of your case when we represent you.
Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC today at (828) 286-3866 for a free case evaluation with a member of our team.
In This Article
Causes of Unsafe Lane Change Accidents
A driver must be vigilant while driving, and he or she must make sure it is safe to execute a lane change before doing so. Motorcyclists, pedestrians, and even other vehicles can all be struck by a driver who executes an unsafe or illegal lane change.
Factors that can cause or contribute to an unsafe lane changing accident include:
- A failure to adequately check blind spots before executing a lane change
- A failure to check both mirrors before executing a lane change
- Changing multiple lanes in a single maneuver
- Distractions that cause a driver to sway from one lane to another or to drift into an adjacent lane
- A failure to turn on the correct signals, or blinkers, before executing a lane change
- Changing from one lane to another when visibility is low or your line of sight is blocked, such as at intersections, in parking lots, or shopping areas where other drivers may be entering or exiting a parking area or leaving or rejoining the road
For a legal consultation with a unsafe lane change accidents lawyer serving Forest City, call 828.286.3866
Negligence and Liability
You may be able to file a compensation claim for the injuries and losses you suffered in an unsafe lane change accident if the accident was caused by the negligence of another road user.
Driver negligence in this type of accident may include:
- Changing lanes where it is not permitted
- Failure to signal
- Entering another lane when it was not clear
- Not leaving a safe distance between vehicles when changing lanes
Other violations of traffic law that cause an accident may also establish liability. In addition, anyone who drives while drowsy, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or while distracted may be held liable for any resultant accidents.
Forest City Unsafe Lane Change Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Common Car Accident Injuries
Accidents caused by unsafe lane changes can cause personal injuries, such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Nerve and muscle damage
- Internal organ damage
- Eye, ear, and facial injuries
- Cuts, lacerations, and disfigurement
- Bruises and contusions
- Varying degrees of paralysis
Depending on the extent of your injuries and the amount of damage caused in your accident, you may face substantial medical treatment costs and other losses.
In the worst-case scenario, these accidents can also cause fatal injuries. If your loved one lost their life in a car accident caused by another party’s negligence, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party.
To discuss your case for free with a member of our team, please contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC today at (828) 286-3866.
Recoverable Damages in a Car Accident Case
When you work with a Forest City unsafe lane change accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC on your case, we can help you identify your losses and gather evidence of their value.
In a personal injury case, the recoverable damages may include:
- Current and future costs of medical treatment
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering damages
For a wrongful death case, the recoverable damages may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Pre-death medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of companionship
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
Collecting Evidence and Filing a Claim
In order to recover compensation, you must typically prove the responsible driver’s fault. A Forest City unsafe lane change accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC can collect evidence of liability when we represent you. This may include:
- A police report of the accident
- Video footage of the accident or pictures from the accident scene
- Statements from eyewitnesses
We can also gather evidence of your damages, such as
- Vehicle repair invoices
- Medical treatment reports and receipts
- Proof of lost income
- Proof of pain, suffering, or emotional trauma, if applicable
Once we have gathered all the evidence necessary to build your case, we can submit this evidence to the insurer of the at-fault party responsible for your accident. If they refuse to make you a fair settlement offer, we can take them to trial.
The Statute of Limitations in North Carolina
There is a limited time to file a lawsuit for car accident damages in North Carolina. For personal injury lawsuits, the general statute of limitations is three years, per General Statutes (GS) §1-52. For wrongful death lawsuits, the general statute of limitations is two years, per GS §1-53.
In either type of case, failure to file a lawsuit by the deadline that pertains to you could result in your lawsuit being dismissed.
Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC Today
A Forest City unsafe lane change accident lawyer from Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC can handle all aspects of your case when we represent you. We manage all communications, deadlines, and paperwork on behalf of our clients.
For a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, please call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC today at (828) 286-3866. We may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payment necessary. In this payment structure, you do not pay us attorney fees unless and until you recover compensation via a settlement offer or court award.