Pedestrian accidents are among the most serious personal injury accidents. They can result in catastrophic physical injury and severe mental, emotional, and financial injuries. Some victims may never fully recover physically, and the families of deceased victims may never recover in other ways.
You or a loved one may be a victim of a pedestrian accident. If so, our firm can help by filing a personal injury claim for you and, if necessary, fighting for you and your family in court. During a free consultation, we’ll tell you more about how one of our Columbus pedestrian accident lawyers can help.
In This Article
What Damages Can I Claim in My Columbus Pedestrian Accident Case?
After your personal injury accident, you may be eligible to file a personal injury claim for compensation if another party caused the accident. In this claim, you can request several personal injury damages, including physical, mental, emotional, and financial damages. These could include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental/emotional suffering
- Your medical bills, including bills you may incur in the future
- Bills for physical therapy and other rehabilitation
- Earnings you can’t collect due to your injuries preventing you from working
You May Be Able to Claim Wrongful Death Damages
If you are a family member of someone who lost their life in a pedestrian accident, you may be struggling to recover financially from the loss. You can file a wrongful death claim and demand damages, such as:
- The physical pain your loved one may have experienced
- Your and your family’s mental and emotional suffering
- Lost companionship and consortium
- Any unresolved medical bills
- Lost income for your family
- Funeral costs and related costs
For a legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Columbus, call 828.286.3866
What Can a Columbus Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Do for My Case?
To help you recover your due compensation, a personal injury and pedestrian accident lawyer from our firm can help with many aspects of your claim. Your lawyer can manage the entire case. Our lawyers can take on the insurance company and any opposing lawyers, and, if necessary, take your case to court for you. Specifically, your lawyer can:
- File all the necessary legal paperwork for your case and your claim
- Help you come up with a list of all your damages and then evaluate them
- Compile evidence for your case from multiple sources, such as the authorities, any witnesses, traffic cameras, security cameras, and more
- Back up your evidence with testimonies from sources such as accident reconstructionists or medical professionals
- Determine who is responsible for the accident (such as a driver, an employer of a driver, a vehicle manufacturer, or another entity)
- Negotiate on your behalf with the insurer and request a fair settlement
- Argue on your behalf in a courtroom and demand a fair verdict (if the insurer doesn’t offer a fair settlement)
Valuing Your Damages
You may struggle to estimate the values of some of your damages, such as your non-financial, intangible damages that are typically difficult to value. Your lawyer can help evaluate such damages for you, ensuring their full worth is noted in your claim and communicated to the insurer. This may help you recover more compensation.
For example, if you’ve been in significant physical pain, your lawyer can attribute a monetary value to that damage using a method the insurer will likely understand.
Establishing the Other Party’s Liability
Another aspect many claimants struggle with—especially in court—is establishing the other party’s liability for their damages. Establishing liability can be especially difficult if multiple parties are involved in the case.
Your lawyer can establish liability in your case by showing how the other party was negligent before or during the accident. The other party may be considered negligent if:
- They owed you a duty of care or a responsibility to act carefully to prevent harm to pedestrians (such as by following traffic laws)
- They breached their duty of care (such as by ignoring a traffic sign)
- Their breach of duty led to the accident
- The accident resulted in damages you can prove
Columbus Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Should I File a Lawsuit After My Columbus Pedestrian Accident?
One of our attorneys can advise you about whether you should file a lawsuit after a pedestrian accident in Columbus. Filing a lawsuit may be advisable over filing a claim if you have severe damages or if you lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident. A lawsuit may help you recover more compensation while holding the responsible party directly accountable.
If you and your attorney decide on a personal injury lawsuit, your attorney can help meet the filing deadline. In North Carolina, this deadline is 3 years from the date of your accident, per G.S. § 1-52.
Alternatively, if you and your lawyer decide to file a wrongful death lawsuit, your attorney can help meet the deadline of 2 years from the date of your loved one’s loss, per G.S. § 1-53.
About Our Columbus Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Our firm proudly serves residents of Columbus and the rest of North Carolina. We’ve served over 10,000 clients and shown them the attention and appreciation they deserve.
Our personal injury and pedestrian accident attorneys in Columbus strive for the best possible outcome for each client, even if it means litigation. Many of our clients have expressed their appreciation for us in their testimonials.
Serving You on a Contingency Basis
Your initial consultation with our firm will be free. Then, if you hire one of our attorneys, your service will be free as well until your attorney is successful with your case. If your attorney recovers compensation successfully, you’ll simply pay us a portion of the compensation amount.
By serving you on a contingency basis, we make hiring one of our attorneys very affordable.
Complete a Case Evaluation form now
Connect With Us for a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Columbus
If you believe you or a loved one require our services, connect with us at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC. During your free consultation, we’ll tell you more about how one of our pedestrian accident lawyers can help you and your family recover financially from the accident.
Contact Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC today for your free consultation.