Hit and run accidents leave victims confused and facing significant costs. Our firm will explore your options for pursuing compensation and protecting your rights.
A Columbus hit and run accident lawyer at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, will gather evidence and build a strong case on your behalf. You can discuss your case with a team member during a free consultation.
What Should You Do After Your Hit and Run Accident?
After a hit-and-run accident in Columbus, you are most likely left confused and concerned. If you are injured, you are left to wonder who will pay your medical bills and time missed from work.
Hit-and-run accident victims should consult a lawyer because:
- Statements you make to insurers or other attorneys can be held against you. Our firm will handle communications to protect your rights.
- There may be sensitive deadlines related to your case. Our team will act swiftly to prepare and submit your case on time.
- You may have limited time, resources, and energy. Especially if your accident resulted in injuries, it may be difficult for you to handle your case on your own.
You have options for recovering compensation in a Columbus hit and run accident. A team member is standing by to discuss the details of your case during a free case consultation.
We Will Determine Whether Insurance Coverage Is an Option
North Carolina is an at-fault state when it comes to auto insurance. The at-fault driver’s insurance generally covers the accident victim’s losses. When a hit-and-run driver leaves the scene of the accident, seeking coverage from their insurer is not an option unless they are found.
As the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) explains, all motorists in North Carolina must have uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. If the at-fault driver in your accident is not located, we may rely on this coverage from your own policy.
Based on North Carolina law, you may have UM/UIM coverage amounts of up to $30,000 for your own injuries, $60,000 to cover your injuries and one or more others in your vehicle, and $25,000 to cover property damage.
We Can Lead Your Insurance Claim
Our firm can handle the insurance claims process. This process can be challenging when insurance companies use tactics to avoid paying your claim. Insurers may:
- Try to claim that you’re at fault for the accident, despite the other driver leaving the scene
- Undervalue the cost of your accident-related damages
- Twist your words, which they may then use to claim you’ve admitted fault
- Delay your claim
- Act in other ways that qualify as ‘bad faith’
Our firm will deal with the insurance companies for you. If and when you must give a recorded statement, we’ll make sure you’re prepared.
We may need to file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf. If law enforcement locates the party who left the scene of your accident, a lawsuit may be a means of holding them accountable. A Columbus hit and run accident lawyer from our team will handle every aspect of your case and stand by you in the courtroom.
Why Hit-and-Run Accident Victims File Lawsuits
If we can identify the at-fault driver in your accident, we may sue them. A lawsuit may be necessary if your losses exceed the value of your insurance policy coverage limits.
Each case is unique. Our legal approach will be based on the specific details of your case.
Recoverable Damages in a Hit-and-Run Accident Lawsuit in Columbus
Our team will seek to recover compensation for the full and fair value of your losses, which may include:
- Repairs for your vehicle: If a hit-and-run driver damaged or even totaled your vehicle, you should not have to pay for repairs or a new vehicle out of pocket.
- Medical costs: We’ll include all medical costs, like emergency transportation, hospitalization, doctors’ visits, and rehabilitation. We will ask for compensation that covers future medical costs such as rehabilitation if your injuries require that.
- Professional damages, including lost income: If injuries prevent you from working, you may lose standing with your employer, income, promotion opportunities, earning power, and benefits. These and other professional losses may entitle you to compensation.
- Pain and suffering: Any accident resulting in injuries causes pain and suffering. Our firm will determine what your symptoms are, what treatment you need, and the monetary value of these losses.
If your loved one passed away in a Columbus hit and run accident, we can bring a wrongful death action on your loved one’s behalf. In wrongful death cases, recoverable damages may include funeral expenses, loss of consortium, and other losses resulting from their sudden passing.
Everything Our Firm Can Do For You
When you hire our firm to seek justice for you, we take on your entire case. In most cases, a hit and run accident case requires us to:
Investigate the Accident
No two accidents are exactly alike. Our team will investigate your collision with the intention of:
- Learning how and why the crash happened
- Gathering useful evidence
- Speaking with witnesses
- Documenting the collision
- Finding the hit and run driver
Take Action Against Liable Parties
We’ll determine the appropriate strategy for your case. We will then take action against liable parties, which may mean filing an insurance claim or lawsuit. If the liable parties are identifiable, we will hold them accountable.
Negotiate a Financial Resolution
We will negotiate for the compensation you deserve. Depending on your case’s course, we may be negotiating with insurance companies or other attorneys.
If needed, we’re always ready to go to trial for our personal injury clients.
Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC Today About Your Hit and Run Accident
A hit and run accident can be traumatic and having a lawyer on your side can be beneficial at this time. Our team’s Columbus hit and run accident lawyer will work to get the financial recovery you deserve. Call Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC today for your free consultation.