If your family lost one of its members because of another person’s negligence, recklessness, or carelessness, you could receive financial compensation. Our wrongful death team will help you and your loved ones identify and pursue the at-fault party for your loved one’s funeral and burial expenses, the loss of their income and companionship, and so much more.
The sudden and unexpected loss of a loved one can leave your family emotionally devastated. While your family copes with the emotional impact of its loss, our Cherokee County wrongful death lawyer steers your case with compassion for your family and determination to fight on your behalf. At Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, we gather evidence, assign a value to your case, and negotiate a favorable settlement with the at-fault party and their insurance provider.
In This Article
- Damages You Can Recover for the Wrongful Death of a Loved One
- Determine Which Family Members are Eligible for Damages
- Define South Carolina’s Statute of Limitations
- Our Wrongful Death Attorney Will Build Your Case for Compensation
- We Handle Your Case with Kindness and Understanding
- Call for Your Free Consultation Immediately
Damages You Can Recover for the Wrongful Death of a Loved One
S.C. Ann § 15-51-10 defines wrongful death as one caused by negligence. For example, if your loved one lost their lives because of a car or truck accident caused by the at-fault driver’s negligence, your family could have the basis of a wrongful death case. If your case fits these parameters, we help you fight for these recoverable damages:
- Reasonable funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills and expenses for the decedent
- Loss of the decedent’s companionship and protection
- Loss of the decedent’s contributions to the family
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
We also help you request compensation for your own physical and emotional pain and suffering. When our team represents you, we help you build a compelling case file that proves the value of your losses and your right to recover damages.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Cherokee County, call 828.286.3866
Determine Which Family Members are Eligible for Damages
While all your departed loved one’s friends and family will be touched by their demise, only specific family members are eligible legally to seek compensation from the at-fault party. According to S.C. Ann § 15-51-20, the following family members can seek compensation via a wrongful death insurance claim or lawsuit:
- The deceased person’s spouse
- The deceased person’s children
- The deceased person’s parents
Review your familial connection to your loved one with a member of our team. We will help you understand your ability to seek compensation and prepare your case for the settlement process or presentation in court.
Cherokee County Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 828.286.3866
Define South Carolina’s Statute of Limitations
In addition to limiting wrongful death compensation to specific family members, the law also imposes a statute of limitations on your lawsuit. A wrongful death attorney can help you understand the statutory deadline and offer their expertise regarding personal injury and insurance laws and regulations.
Our team supports your lawsuit by filing it in compliance with the state’s statute of limitations. For wrongful death cases, you generally have three years from your loved one’s death to file your lawsuit, according to S.C. Ann § 15-3-530. Failing to file your lawsuit on time could put your right to compensation at risk.
In addition to removing that risk, getting us involved in your case sooner rather than later also means we have time to conduct an independent and thorough investigation into your loved one’s death.
Our Wrongful Death Attorney Will Build Your Case for Compensation
Fighting for compensation after the loss of a loved one can be an exhausting process. When our Cherokee County wrongful death lawyer represents you, we help you prove the at-fault party’s actions caused your loved one’s demise and entitles you to compensation. Our Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, team will also:
- Investigate the cause of your loved one’s demise
- Prove the identity and negligence of the at-fault party
- Compile supporting documents and evidence
- Handle all case-related communication and paperwork
- Calculate the financial value of your case
We will also handle the negotiation process, including fielding settlement offers and weighing the pros and cons of each offer. Our goal is to get the best possible outcome for you – even if we must take your case to court. If your case eventually goes to trial, we continue to fight hard for your compensation when we cannot reach a financial settlement with the at-fault party.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Handle Your Case with Kindness and Understanding
When we represent family members who survive the loss of a loved one, we do so with compassion, empathy, and a determination to help. Previous clients attest to this on our reviews page when they say:
- “Mr. Morris was great and very helpful…He is very professional and helped me with the legal ‘stuff’ while going through this rough time in my life…I’m very happy with the outcome of everything and would definitely recommend Mr. Morris.” – Miss M
- “She always went the extra mile…[and] knows how to give you PEACE THAT EVERYTHING WILL WORK OUT…I’ve never had an attorney that really takes each client so to heart. I highly recommend Gabrielle to anyone looking for a great attorney.” – Leigh Valentine
- “Professional, extremely competent and personable. Hannah Davies (and her team) makes complicated matters easy to understand while taking care of all the granular details in her client’s best interest. Many attorneys I have had dealings with would not elicit this type of review from me, but I have been doing business with Farmer & Morris for 15+ years now, without disappointment.” – Bostic Motors
When your family loses a loved one, we are here to help you fight for recovery. Our law firm is committed to helping surviving family members recover from the loss of their loved one and its emotional and monetary impact.
Call for Your Free Consultation Immediately
If your family lost one of its members because of the negligent or reckless actions of another person in Cherokee County, our wrongful death lawyer could help you seek financial recovery. Find out how by contacting the team at Farmer & Morris Law, PLLC, today by calling (828) 286-3866.